February 28, 2013

Tiger Cake (Marble Cake)


I had a chance to bake some traditional cakes (knowing they'd get eaten) whilst my parents were visiting us the other week. Tiger cake, as it is known in Finland, didn't used to be my favourite growing up, but I've finally discovered the joy of these simple 'coffee cakes' Finns love so much.
It's these traditional recipes I'm most fond of: basic ingredients and no fancy machinery needed.


 Tiger Cake

200g butter (organic)
160g raw caster sugar
3 eggs (large, free-range, organic)
1/4 teaspoon pure ground vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
190g plain flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons milk (full cream, organic)

1. Beat soft butter and sugar in a bowl. Add eggs beating well after each addition. 

2. Mix vanilla, baking powder and flour in a separate bowl. Sieve this mixture into the same bowl with butter/eggs/sugar and fold carefully to combine. 

3. Take 1/3 of the mixture into another bowl. Add cocoa powder and milk and stir to combine. 

4. Pour 1/3 of the white mixture into a greased cake tin, add a layer of cocoa mixture in between and top with the rest of the dough. 'Prick' the dough with a fork to create the marbling. 

5. Bake in preheated oven (175C) for about 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before serving.


6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, this is a beautiful cake! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cake looks so delish..!! and the plates ?? you kill me now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks gorgeous & sounds delicious - I love simple cakes :)

    & your plates are so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love simple cakes like this. Marble cakes are popular in Asia too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember haveing this cake at my in-law's house, it was sauna Saturday. Everyone who came over had a cup of coffee and Pulla or cake or both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum used to always make this cake! I remember when I was little I would tell my friends it was tiger cake and they thought it was weird as here they call it marble cake :P

    ReplyDelete