February 24, 2013

Barbecued Tofu and Portobello Salad


During summer, I mainly survive on salads, fruit and other cold, light meals without even craving for anything heartier. This summer we finally bought a little barbecue for our balcony and have used it a couple of times to mix things up a bit. This marinated tofu and portobello salad is one of my favourites; it's hearty enough to suffice for a proper meal, but light enough for even a hot summer's day.

Barbecued Tofu and Portobello Salad
(serves 2-4)

350g extra-firm tofu
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon tamari
pepper, to taste

a few large portobello mushrooms, sliced
mixed salad leaves
cucumber, sliced
cherry tomatoes, halved
avocado, diced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1-2 carrots, coarsely grated

 extra-virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil, to serve
toasted sesame seeds, to serve

 1. Cut the tofu to about 1-2 cm slices and put in a shallow bowl. Mix the marinade ingredients in a separate bowl and pour over the tofu. Leave to marinade for about half an hour.

2. Prepare the rest of salad while the tofu is marinating. Barbecue (or pan-fry) the tofu first, then use the left-over marinade to brush over the mushroom slices before barbecuing. Mix tofu and mushrooms with the rest of the ingredients, drizzle with extra oil if necessary, extra pepper and scatter with toasted sesame seeds.

12 comments:

  1. A scrumptious salad and combination! Wonderful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, that looks delicious! I love that you've so generously sprinkled the salad with sesame seeds - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad is so beautiful! I especially love the scattering of sesame seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kind of dinner! It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tofu so much but never put on salad, I should try this too.. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Näyttää tosi hyvältä!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have enough tofu in my life and I'm LOVING the idea of it BBQd and in this beautiful salad!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I cannot wait for summer here so that I can fix up big bowls of gorgeousness like this. So many of my favourite things in this salad. Beautiful, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If only it was summer to enjoy this beautiful dish...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous warm salad. Both fresh and hearty :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay you fired up the BabyQ! It's easy to use huh?? :)

    ReplyDelete