September 05, 2012

Apple and Oat Muffins


September, and spring alongside, is certainly in full swing and shaping up to be a busy one. My calendar is filled with quite a few engagements, including long overdue catch ups with friends and summer product launches for work. I am by no means complaining, but rather loving the buzz that spring seems to create every year. No doubt, warm weather and increasing sun light are making a busy schedule much more bearable as well.

I love having a few stand-by recipes in my kitchen repertoire for when I'm a little pressed with time. A favourite salad that can be thrown together at the last minute or quicker than quick home-made bread can save from a lot of unnecessary stress. Forward planning is of course the key, but I tend to rely on recipes that can either be made ahead or use basic ingredients that I am likely to have in my kitchen at all times.

These apple and oat muffins tick all those boxes and are perfect to bring along to a brunch with friends or serve with afternoon tea. Yoghurt gives them a sour edge that is balanced with sweet vanilla. Feel free to add a couple of teaspoons of ground cinnamon too, if you like.

Apple and Oat Muffins

(Recipe inspired by taste.com.au)
 
300g plain flour (you can use wholemeal, if you like)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
50g rolled oats + 2 tablespoons
170g raw caster sugar
2 tablespoons raw vanilla sugar + 2 tablespoons
400g plain yoghurt (pot set, low fat)
2 eggs
100ml olive oil
1 apple, peeled and chopped into small cubes


1. Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a 12-cup muffin tin.

2. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, oats and sugar together.

3. Whisk yoghurt, eggs and oil in a separate bowl.

4. Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients and fold with a large spoon to combine. Add apple.

5. Spoon the batter in to the cups and sprinkle with left-over oats and vanilla sugar. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.



12 comments:

  1. Excellent - I've been looking for a good muffin recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely muffins! I love the topping.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am drooling over these! I could go for a nice apple muffin today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photos! And I'm definitley craving muffins right now..
    Those muffin tops just look so crunchy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made muffins. Maybe I should start with these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These muffins sound perfect for fall! I would eat one every day for breakfast until they were gone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look gorgeous, healthy and perfect for this season. The smell of baked apple really is fall to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such delightfully ethereal photos! And what a recipe - definitely worth of the pictures Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful photos! I wish I had one of these for breakfast right now!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look fantastic. I am trying these immediately. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so making these tomorrow!! I am drooling...

    ReplyDelete