August 17, 2012

Rhubarb and Strawberry Whipped Porridge


Spring is in the air! I can feel a warmer breeze during my morning walks, the days are getting longer and the light just that tiny bit brighter. I have kick-started my spring cleaning and I can sense fresh energy floating about our home.

I picked up a punnet of fresh strawberries from a local green grocer and decided to use them for yet another childhood favourite of mine: whipped semolina porridge. Traditionally made with lingonberries, this sweeter version combines rhubarb and strawberries resulting in a smooth, delicious dessert. 


Rhubarb and Strawberry Whipped Porridge
(Serves 2)

500ml water
250g chopped rhubarb
250g fresh strawberries
50g semolina
1/2 teaspoon pure ground vanilla
1 teaspoon granulated stevia

1. Bring water to a boil in a medium sized pan. Add rhubarb and simmer until completely softened.

2. Puree strawberries with a hand mixer and add in to the pan. Scatter in semolina, whisking continuously to avoid any lumps. 

3. Keep stirring the porridge and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Add vanilla and stevia.

4. Leave to cool completely. Whisk the porridge with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Serve at room temperature.

18 comments:

  1. Maria, I love your version of whipped porridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely smooth porridge and what a beautiful colour. Looks very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never likes semolina as a child, in fact I think I was allergic to it for a while, but the look of this breakfast has me wanting to try it again. Looks absolutley stunning and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting recipe! That whipped porridge must taste so good and have a lovely texture.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome ~ love the semolina to make it heartier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty and different porridge! I am a huge rhubarb fan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back to my childhood and how: yes, we may have used lingonberries too, but why do I think it was white/red currants or . . . ? All I know is that I had to do a lot of the boring whipping, but the results sure were worth it! Thanks for a lovely memory: must try your version :) !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scandi food you are my most inspiring and fav food blog...I love your recipes...but sadly I can't view any of your recipes ENG? please can you tell me where they are??? I love rhubarb and have made many of your delights..this is a next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it works now! Not sure what had happened, but thanks for letting me know.

      Maria

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous desert! Can't wait to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty color! I always say I want to cook with more rhubarb and this looks like the perfect way to start!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  11. Täydellinen koostumus! :) Tekee heti mieli.. tällä viikolla suomeen, ehkä joku tekee mulle tätä ihan puolukoilla ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nami nami! Puolukkapuuro on kylla niin ylivoimaista. Ihanaa Suomen reissua! x

      Delete
  12. I LOVE mannavaht/vispipuuro - have made it at least once a week during the last few weeks. Few months ago I used rhubarb, now mainly raspberries and currants. Soon it'll be apples and then lingonberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the color so beautiful ! and looks good and tasty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, this looks impossibly delicious and so airy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Air pudding! We used to make ours with raspberries, but I have also made it using cranberry juice in place of the fruit and water. I miss this now that I cannot have wheat/gluten. Has anyone tried making it with other grains?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I hated mannapuuro as a kid, although vispipuuro was ok. A good idea to use rhubarb and strawberries! The taste of stevia is not my favourite, but it probably works well in the recipe. Your porridge looks perfect, Maria.

    ReplyDelete