August 12, 2012

A Little Greenhouse and Aunt Hanna's Cookies


It's been a rainy weekend here in Sydney, but when the sun did peek through the clouds I grabbed my camera and went back to the balcony to snap some more photos. I set up this little greenhouse with a few succulents and I just love how it looks on our balcony table. You really can't go wrong with succulents, they are probably out there with the easiest plants to take care of and it's definitely a bonus that they look so darn cute too! 



Today I got back in the kitchen to bake some more traditional Finnish treats for my husband. In case you are wondering where this baking frenzy is stemming from, I think it's merely an urge to connect with my home in Finland. I'm baking treats I grew up with, like these cookies that I remember from my childhood. My granny used to have a cookie stash in the attic and I remember sneaking up there looking for a sweet treat. These are the memories and traditions I want to keep with me and one day pass on to my children.


These cookies are commonly known in Finland as Aunt Hanna's cookies. I don't know who aunt Hanna was and why the cookies are named after her, but it doesn't make them any less loved. They are super simple to make and use ingredients you are likely to have at home at all times.



Aunt Hanna's Cookies

150g (organic, unsalted) butter
200g (raw) caster sugar
150ml (organic) cream*
2 teaspoons baking powder
250g (organic) potato starch**
300g (organic) plain flour

* light or heavy as long as it is meant for baking

** In Australia potato starch is often sold as potato flour

1. Melt the butter and leave to cool.

2. Add sugar and cream to the cool butter.

3. Combine baking powder, potato starch and flour and add the mixture through a sieve to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well into a smooth dough.

4. Leave the dough to rest in a cool place for about half an hour. In the meanwhile, preheat the oven to 175C and prepare 2-3 cookie trays lined with baking paper.

5. Shape the dough into thin rolls and cut into even sized pieces. Roll each piece into a small ball and press with a fork to give the cookie its traditional pattern. Place the cookies on the trays and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container or in the freezer.


23 comments:

  1. Wow, your balcony looks amazing! Thanks for the cookie recipe, too, looks nice and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanna tädin kakkuja! Täytyypi kokeilla, pitkästä aikaa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard (or seen) about Aunt Hanna's cookies here in Finland :) But the recipe looks familiar so I might have eaten them under a different name. I definitely have to bake these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great. And that little greenhouse is adorable! Pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these cookies look so adorable! i've always wanted a little greenhouse too. are you planning on planting edibles in it too? also, i wanted to say i love the new take on your blog! but i was wondering, will you also post some more health food posts in the future? i am not a vegan, but i don't eat sugar and white flours, so i am always on the lookout for healthier 'alternatives'. are there any traditional finnish/scandic recipes which are healthier? thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      Thanks! I will be posting healthy recipes in the future as well and for healthy alternatives, please check out my recipe index, there are lots to choose from! :-)

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  6. Olin aivan unohtanut lapsuuden Hanna-tädin kakut!
    Kiitos reseptistä - täytyyhän perinne mennä eteenpäin omille lapsille myös :)
    Tosi nätit sukkulantit - ne kestävät hyvin kuumuutta ja kuivuutta, varmaan selviävät hyvin siellä kuumassa ilmastossa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing photography - gorgeous natural light! i love traditional recipes - so lovely!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cookies look absolutely delightful! Love the view from your balcony! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you were lucky with your photos - even we got blown to pieces 100 km south and inland! What an abysmal weekend! But your greenhouse looks absolutely beautiful: may I ask is it your own handiwork or can you give us a link to buy? Most plantshelters are definitely not elegant enough to sit upon a table like yours :) ! Wish I liked succulents: try some every few years and 'lose' them down the back garden :) ! But the cookies are very familiar, if nameless, to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the little green house. Looks very cute!

    I have had the stronges premunition that you will share some tremendous news in the near future.. :)
    Perhaps I am way off the radar here but I couldn't resist..

    xx C

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love eating food that reminds me of my childhood, too. These cookies look great, I would enjoy them even if I also don't know who Aunt Hanna is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your balcony looks absolutely gorgeous - especially with the addition of the greenhouse. I love the sound of having a cookie stash in the attic. It's probably the only place my family wouldn't look for a sweet treat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Panu made Aunt Hanna's cookies at Christmas and OMG they were soooooooooo good. I must bug him to make some more again. Your greenhouse is VERY cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joskus nämä yksinkertaiset herkut ovat kyllä ihan parhaita kaiken yltäkylläisyyden, keksi-suklaa-pähkinä-kinuski-kahvi-kookos-jäätelöiden sun muiden keskellä. Samalla linjalla toki nuo alemmat, superherkullisen näköiset korvapuustit. Ei moni asia voita iltapäiväkaffeja ultrakanelisen korvapuustin kera!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the little glass-house :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. gorgeous photos! I love the little green house!

    ReplyDelete
  17. congratulations, you have a wonderful blog! I will follow you now! kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pitkasta aikaa tulin katsomaan blogiasi ja aah "minun" kakkujanihan taalla. Pitaapi tehda joku paiva.
    Ihana parveke ja koti! Kiva saada uusi kaanne, craft ideat aina huippuja.
    Kivaa kevaan odotusta x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your greenhouse! I'm very jealous right now! I live in 1 bedroom on the lower north shore and don't have a balcony!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ihana blogi! Ja älä lopeta!

    ReplyDelete