June 07, 2012

Meanwhile in Lapland


Wedding is only 2 days away! Truth be told, I never thought things could get quite so hectic, but I suppose it was expected seeing we left a huge chunk of preparations to the last minute. Despite all the running-arounds, appointments, organising and other madness, I've managed to take some time off to enjoy being back in my hometown. 

Whilst I've kept my big and bulky camera tucked in its bag, I've been walking around with a small point-and-shoot and my iphone. I thought you might want to see a few glimpses of the surroundings I grew up in and what early summer at the Arctic Circle looks like. I haven't been back here during this season in many many years so it has felt like discovering the little wonders of nature all over again!

I've enjoyed the abundance of fresh Finnish produce: tomatoes, cucumbers, salads, young leaves of birch trees, fresh nettles and rhubarb from my parents garden. I've indulged with 100% rye bread, last season's lingonberries, pure birch sap and chaga tea, collected and made by my parents. Needless to say I love being back in Finland.

I'll be back on Sunday (hopefully) with some wedding photos!

Blueberries are flowering everywhere



And lingonberries are not far behind!
I adore globe flowers!
"Devil's field" - works of the Ice Age.
The early green of birch trees is my favourite colour
The sun never sets
A lone cabin stands amongst the birch trees
Old barns are scattered across the town
It's all so quiet...
Rhubarb grows in abundance
Wedding props I raided from granny's cupboards
More wedding props... can you guess what our theme might be?
The venue is an old house from the late 1800's
I love the rooms the building has... our guests can mingle from room to room

And finally, a few reminders...

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your hometown with us! stunning.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is taking me back to our honeymoon cabin--not in Lapland, but in Kankaanpää, a bit NE of Tampere. :)

    Happy wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, love the peek into your northern home as spring unfurls quietly and slowly.

    Your wedding looks like it will be amazing, and I can't wait to see pictures of the beautiful bride, and more lovely scenes from home. Enjoy your day, wishing you much love and happiness x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures Maria! Hope your wedding turns out as you wish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing. Many blessings to you for your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous place to relax and enjoy nature. I love the house.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning place - so so very green! And it seems so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ihania kuvia, siis mielettömiä Suomi-fiiliksiä! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ihania kuvia! Ja paljon onnea Maria tulevien häittesi johdosta:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my!! This old house is so charming. What a special place for a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a treat to see this place! Being from the states it looks quite like the fairy tales and fables we were told growing up :) I LOVE chaga tea! I have been drinking it daily, steeping it from the same mushroom for a couple months. Do you have a good recipe for the rye bread? I would love to make some authentic bread :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tervetuloa Suomeen! Ihana nähdä kuvistakin, miten paljon nautit olostasi täällä!! Onnellista ja kaunista hääpäivää teille!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post; I was doing research in Helsinki back in March and was staying with a Finnish friend of mine. Her family has a cabin in Hetta, so I got to travel to the Lapland for a festival, which was truly magical! I love Finland and had a wonderful time there--I'm only sorry I didn't get to see it in bloom!

    Congratulations on your (very) upcoming wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic photos! Big congratts from us in Oz for your wedding! Hope it all runs smoothly ��������

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maria, how gorgeous is the lead up to your special day? Beautiful! Have a divine wedding day with all that love and nature surrounding you!
    Cherie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am sort'of crying . . . Although I have been very happy in Australia throughout most of my life, the feeling of 'home' and 'familar' and 'happy childhood' and all else has really hit!! Love all the birch photos and the globe flowers which I also could not wait to bloom. Laugh at the stoves: we had them in every room, often beautifully decorated . . . Would so like to walk on the site of your first photo. . . Meanwhile, beautiful bride-to-be, be happy. Palju, palju õnne ja kõike head tulevikus :) !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! Today is also my wedding day! Best wishes and enjoy the day! Don't let the stress take over you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos and all the very best for the wedding. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wish you a wonderful wedding day Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Maria, your pictures are beautiful! And you'll make a beautiful bride, too. All the best for your wedding – enjoy your special day :-)

    Lesh

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish you a wonderful wedding; you make a beautiful and stylish bride and how fitting to have it in Finland; I almost visited a friend in Finland and had to cancel the trip and your photos make me wish I never did! Everything looks so pure, natural and breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, Maria. I just came across your blog and find it to be very interesting and inspiring. Your mouthwatering recipes accompanied by vibrant pictures encourage me to be more creative with my own meals. Congratulations on becoming vegan! I also share your path, and with every passing day realize that I made the right choice.
    I wanted to ask you about that chaga tea that your parents prepared--do you know how they make it? I found a place to collect some chaga mushroom and have been reading about it from different sources, so I am curious how it is normally made in Finland. Thank you kindly.

    ReplyDelete