March 13, 2012

Home-Made Oat-Berry Yoghurt

Lately I have had a huge craving for something 'yoghurt-like', just something soft, creamy and light, like the dairy-based yoghurt I used to eat by the bucket load before I went vegan. It was interesting to realise that it actually is the texture (creaminess, softness) and the mouth-feel that I was craving. This kind of craving goes for other animal-based products, as well. When people say "I crave for meat", they are most likely only craving for fat and salt, and not the actual meat itself. After all, we are not true carnivores and we certainly don't have any nutritional need for animal-based products.

Even before I went vegan, I was trying to find non-dairy based yoghurt to satisfy my cravings. Back in Finland oat yoghurt is quite widely available, but I have not yet come across it here in Australia. As far as I know, the only non-dairy yoghurt available here are soy yoghurt and coconut yoghurt, both of which have a disturbingly long list of (unnatural) ingredients, along with quite a lot of added sugar.


It was this frustration that led me to experiment with making oat yoghurt at home. I found some guidelines online and the process seemed very easy and doable. Unfortunately, my first batches were not successful: too sour, not sour enough, too thick, too thin, and so on. I'm sure you can imagine how excited I was when I finally got it right, and I really couldn't be happier with the outcome!

This oat yoghurt has the sourness and creaminess of dairy-based yoghurt. Mixed with berries, sweetened with a little stevia and pure vanilla, it is so delicious and I know it will be my regular treat from now on. Although it is quite difficult to give you exact measurements and instructions (because of factors like room temperature, etc.), I urge you to give this a go - it really is worth the (little) effort!


Home-Made Oat-Berry Yoghurt
(2-4 servings)

100g whole oat grain (groats)
100g rolled oats (not instant)
water

100-200g fresh or frozen berries
1 teaspoon stevia
1/4 teaspoon ground pure vanilla


* I have found that a combination of whole oat grain and rolled oats makes the yoghurt creamier and also gives it a nicer texture than using just all groats or all rolled oats.

1. Place the oat groats and rolled oats in separate glass bowls. Add enough water in each bowl to just cover the oats (the water should reach about 1 cm above the oats). Leave to soak for 8 hours. Add a little water during the soaking if the oats have soaked up all water.

2. After soaking, puree the oats (along with the soaking water) in a blender until very smooth. Pour the mixture in to a clean ceramic or glass bowl. The mixture should be creamy and soft. Cover the bowl with a plate and leave to ferment in a warm place for 1-2 days. I left mine on the kitchen bench for just one and a half days and it was just perfect, but in cooler weather you might need to find a warmer place for the bowl or wrap it in tea towels to keep it warm. Keep checking and tasting the mixture and stir it a couple of times whilst fermenting. You might need to leave it for longer (3-4 days), if you want it more sour, so just keep tasting to find the perfect balance.

3. Once the yoghurt is sour enough, take a small batch of the yoghurt to keep as a starter for your next batch. Keep the starter in a sealed container in your fridge. Store the remaining yoghurt in the fridge for up to 3 days.

4. To make the berry version, simply blend the oat yoghurt with some fresh or frozen berries, stevia and vanilla. I made this with frozen berries and had it cold, a bit like frozen yoghurt, and it was so delicious!

31 comments:

  1. This is so intriguing and sounds absolutely delicious! Thank you for the wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that you could make yogurt out of oats. Thanks for sharing the results of all of your experiments Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i really admire your blog and new recipes, and the photos !! gorgeous !
    i'm an Estonian living in Vietnam so i understand well what we're used to is not available so much in this part of the world ..
    as i really can't find groats here, but i have steel cut oats, do you think i could use them instead of groats ? Or how should i substitute ...
    i'd really love to make a patch of my own oat yoghurt
    Madli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi !
    Just wanted to ask whether i can use steel cut oats instead of groats as i can't find any groats from the shops here in Hanoi ..
    and i really love your blog, so inspiring, such lovely photos !! it's really amazing, makes me want to try to make every food you have here !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maria, looks very delicious and interesting comment on the craving issue. And pretty pictures. Spring is showing here in Copenhagen. Best regards Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. This yogurt is amazingly delicious. The photograph is absolutely stunning!! http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of this, and it looks so beautiful! I'm going to keep this in mind to try when I have some time to experiment with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that sounds wonderfull!

    I'm just wondering, using whole oat grains and only soaking them for 8 hours, won't they be hard on your degistive system, or does the fermenting take completly care of that?

    I've always learned it's really important to properly cook your grains before consuming.

    And do you need a really strong blender to puree them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi all and thank you for your comments!

    You can certainly experiment with steel cut oats. I don't see why it wouldn't work with those as well!

    8 hours will be enough to soften the grain, but you do need a good blender in order to get a smooth texture.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The oats yogurt looks quite creamy and sounds as simple as the regular one. Gorgeous clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have trouble finding a yoghurt with the perfect texture and flavour, so I'm really quite keen to try this recipe :) it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oat yoghurt sounds fascinating and delicious. I'm too impatient to make something that i have to leave for TWO days before I can eat it though hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Maria, this is amazing! Thanks a million for this! We also have oatghurt in Sweden but I´d be nuts not to try this recipe! love<3

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting idea. I am saving this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds amazing! I'm definitely going to give this a try. I just have one question. How do you get a second batch started using a starter from the first batch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anke!

      Thank you! Using a starter from your previous batch makes the process of your second batch speedier. You simply add a spoonful of starter into the soaked and blended oats. I haven't had to do this because the weather has been so warm (I always get a batch in less than 2 days), but it might be good to try the starter-method if you are in a cooler climate.

      Hope this helps!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  16. My sister made this recipe you entered and absolutely loved it, so here I am borrowing your recipe...it sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing this.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dar!

      So glad to hear it worked out!


      Maria
      x

      Delete
  17. Im gonna try to use the yogurth machine to make it today, to see if it works ... because with this weather here im not sure about leaving it outside. :) Lets seeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hei, millä nimellä mä saan Suomesta oikeeta tavaraa? Luomukauraryynit, onks ne käsitelty pilalle? Ja rolled oats... kypsennettyjä kaurahiutaleita voi käyttää paremman puutteessa?
    Etukäteen kiitos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hei!

      Kylla luomukauraryynit (kokonaiset ryynit siis) sopivat oikein hyvin. Rolled oats vastaa Suomessa jumbokaurahiutaleita, mutta jos niita ei loydy niin voit tehda koko satsin kokonaisista ryyneista tai kayttaa hieman lisana nuita kaurahiutaleita.

      Toivottavasti tama auttoi ja anna toki palautetta kun olet kokeillut reseptia!

      Kiitos!

      Maria

      Delete
  19. Jälkiraportti: Käytin sitte niitä luomuryynejä ja vähän perushiutaleita. Hapatin kylppärin lattialämmityksen päällä ja puolessatoista päivässä tuli vähän liiankin hapanta, mutta kaiken mä söin makuun tottumattomanakin. Niin ja vettäkin oli liikaa. Mut ekaks yritykseks oon aika happy! Tosi mielenkiintonen kokeilu!
    Vähän mietin vaan: myslin kanssa tän syöminen tuntuu vaan huonolta idealta, kun tää on ittessäänkin hiilihydraattia eiks niin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiva etta onnistui! Kannattaa tosiaan lisata vetta vain sen verran etta ryynit peittyvat ja maistella jugurttia hapattamisen aikana niin ei tule liian hapanta.

      Myslin kanssa syomisen ideana ei ole niinkaan laskea hiilareita vaan yhdistella makuja ja koostumuksia :-) Kaurassa on kuitenkin runsaasti myos proteiinia.

      Kiitos!

      Maria

      Delete
  20. Thank you for an interesting and beautiful blog! I miss yogurt too :) So this sounds like a great idea. But I wonder:

    * What is the temperature in your kitchen (or what is a good temperature for the yogurt to thrive)?

    * Don't you need some kind of starter for the first batch?

    Best wishes from Norway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susi!

      It was summer here in Sydney when I first made this so the temperature inside was about 25C. This is why I recommend you to find a really warm spot in your home (especially if it's winter where you are!)

      You don't need a starter as long as it's warm enough for the batch to start fermenting.

      Hope this helps and good luck!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  21. Hi there!

    I tried putting this together and something went wrong...perahaps you can offer some suggestions? My batch was very thick and gummy, and then after two days it had developed pretty intense mold (of several varieties!). Should I have used more water to soak? Do you think that would have abated the mold?
    Your blog is incredible, thanks for your work!!!
    xo
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie!

      Hmm, sounds like it definitely needed more water but really not sure where the mold could've come from! Maybe your kitchen was too warm? If you'd like to give it another go, please make sure to use enough water to cover (and reach over the oats), then check after a few hours and add more water if needed. Hope it works next time, I haven't had a failure yet!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  22. Oat yogurt! Simply amazing. I can't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woah! It's the first time I get to try and see this Oat yogurt thing. Well, I really do like to taste it after all. Great thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh this looks like a perfect vegan yoghurt recipe!!! I've never come across one like this before and you have no idea how keen I am right now to make this :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome. The photos are really enticing me to do this.

    ReplyDelete