March 18, 2012

Craving for Leek and Potato Soup


Hi friends! 

Hope your weekend is going well and you are enjoying good food and company of your loved ones. I have the simplest recipe to share with you today, and a staple at most homes, I'm sure. I don't think there are many foods that I find as comforting as soups and potato and leek soup has always been a big favourite of mine. There are no tricks in this recipe, but just a marriage of pure flavours and season's produce. Hope you enjoy!


Potato and Leek Soup
(serves 4)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 big leek, finely chopped 
5-6 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
water or vegetables stock
pinch of good quality salt
freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onions and leeks. Sauté for a few minutes, then add the herbs, potatoes and enough water or vegetable stock to cover all the vegetables. 

2. Bring the mixture to boil, then leave to simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the vegetables are really tender. Finally add nutritional yeast and season the soup with a pinch of salt and pepper. Puree the soup in a blender until creamy. Serve with sourdough croutons pan-fried in olive oil until golden brown.

23 comments:

  1. I love the comfort of this staple, like a big warm hug. I add rosemary to my usual recipe too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very comforting soup and classic combination!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally a vegan leek and potato soup! Wonderful recipe, would love to try this! Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a HUGE fan of leek and potato soup!!! It's always a winner, so simple and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite soups! I love the addition of nutritional yeast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love leek and potato soup. The weather in Sydney is perfect for this right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! I love this soup. But the way you have served it, and your photos make it absolutely delicious. Great, beautiful photos and atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The use of yeast, thyme and rosemary are all new to me: have to try it this way soonest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are making me crave this soup now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love leek & potato soup. I made it last year but I haven't tried this year yet. I should try new recipe. I hope to try this this week! It's still so cold~~!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh mygoodness this looks stunning. That is dinnersorted for tomorrow night. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love leek & pot soup. Looks delicious and great photos.

    You are welcome to join in my food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here all bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! What a beautifully simple and delicious recipe. I've never made potato and leek soup before but this was amazing, and perfect for this Sydney weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you have me craving leek & potato soup :) Such a soulful bowl of comfort :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an incredibly healthy, vegan version of this soup. So lovely and so incredibly easy to make!

    Kiitos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks fantastic Maria, comfort food - I participate in a group vegetable garden just outside Milan where I live, so I'll get the leeks from there.
    I do have a couple of questions. What is nutritional yeast and also I thought that pureeing potatoes had a strange effect on the consistency...oh, and also...
    I absolutely L O V E your recipes!
    thanks, j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia,

      Nutritional yeast is available at health food stores. You can make the soup without it or use a bit of cheese instead.

      Maria

      Delete
  17. Can you use dried rosemary instead of fresh?? I'm so wanting to try this recipe but I only have the dried stuff!!! Please let me know. :) cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, dried rosemary is fine.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Would you know what measurements to use? I've heard that dried herbs are more potent then fresh. And I don't want the rosemary flavor too overpowering. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure, I don't usually measure so carefully, so maybe just a pinch?

      Delete
  18. I came across this recipe! looks fabulous... when cooking up the leeks do you use the white part only or both the white and green? I've heard both both ways and was wondering what you do in your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually use the white part only.

      Delete