January 15, 2012

Baked rhubarb oatmeal


This morning, after being down with a cold for the past four days, I felt like having something a bit more wholesome and warming for breakfast. I can't think of many meals more comforting than a bowl of oatmeal and that's exactly what I needed this morning. Combined with almonds, chia seeds and cinnamon and a layer of soft rhubarb on the bottom, this baked oatmeal is truly comforting, and perfect for lazy weekend mornings.


Baked rhubarb oatmeal
(Recipe inspired by Heidi Swanson + this recipe)

230g rhubarb, chopped into 2cm pieces (fresh or frozen)
230g rolled oats (use gluten-free, if you prefer)
100g almonds, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
500ml home-made almond milk (recipe here)
olive oil, for brushing

1. Preheat oven to 180C and brush a medium-sized oven dish lightly with olive oil.

2. Cover the bottom of the dish with rhubarb pieces. Combine the oats, almond, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Pour the mixture on top of the rhubarbs and finally pour the almond milk (evenly) on top. 

3. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.

11 comments:

  1. Yum! I've never really tried rhubarb but this looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! What a lovely treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved Heidi Swansons baked oatmeal- so I'm sure this would be scrumptious! The rhubarb is such a nice, wholesome addition, yum :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baked oatmeal is such a comforting breakfast. I look forward to fresh rhubarb, but in the meantime I'll have mine with frozen berries. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will make a not of this for when my rhubarb comes up again in Spring. Yum yum. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum - looks warming and delicious - perfect for these rainy mornings we've been having. Thanks for sharing and feel better soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so delicious maria!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you were ill. I love rhubarb and will make this the second it comes into season here in the States. I just made a wonderful Cran-Apple Millet breakfast bake that I posted today.
    I have been wanting to incorporate chia seeds into our diet so I'm doubley excited to find this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the addition of almonds and almont milk to sweeten up the naturally tart rhubarb without adding any sugar. Blueberries would have probably worked well too. Yum. PS hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this! Made a version of Heidi's recipe myself too! It is really nice when you are feeling under the weather...comforting and special :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh! It's like breakfast crumble! I wonder if there's a way of baking it overnight - maybe I'll set up a timer so that it comes on 30 minutes before I wake up!

    ReplyDelete