September 22, 2011

The last of the apples - Apple and sultana loaf

 

As the northern hemisphere salutes the new-season apples, us on the other side of the globe are farewelling this fruit and moving on to the summer produce. I am not ready to let go of apples just yet, however, as this simple loaf savoured with some smooth ricotta and honey is such an irresistible treat for a morning tea.

 

Apple and sultana loaf


200g organic, whole spelt flour
50g lupin flour*
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
100g natural sultanas
500g organic, unsweetened apple sauce**
2 large, free-range egg whites

1. Preheat the oven to 200C and line a medium size loaf tin with baking paper.

2. Place the dry ingredients, including the sultanas, into a bowl and mix to combine.

3. Stir in the apple sauce.

4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites into soft peaks. Fold the egg whites gently into the rest of the batter. 

5. Bake the loaf for about an hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving. Serve fresh or toasted with soft ricotta and honey.

Notes to the recipe.

* lupin flour is available at health-food stores. If you are unable to find it, you can replace it with besan (chickpea) or sorghum flour, or use 40g of wheat or oat germ instead.

** Unsweetened apple sauce is also available at health-food stores. If you are unable to find it, you can replace it with finely grated apples.

29 comments:

  1. This loaf sounds so delicious and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful loaf! A perfect breakfast treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks so good! It may be a baking evening after all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous loaf. Anything baked with apple is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvelous. here the apple season has just started, and I can't wait for trying this amazing recipe. Lovely shots, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks divine as usual...thanks to you I'm discovering all these different types of flours. I love how you served it with fresh ricotta and honey too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fruit loaves like this, filled with apples or pears or bananas...so delicious yet also feels so good-for-you :) This looks just lovely Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ate something very similar last night at a party. It's called gubana and it's a Slovenian specialty. Very, very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ihana leipä:) Omenat ovat juuri ajankohtaisia täällä vietettävän uuden vuoden johdosta ja lupiinijauhojakin löytyy:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this looks delish! I wish I had more time before class to make this- I guess I will make it as soon as I get home. Thanks for replying to my email. I now am baking up a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! The first local apples are starting to show up at our farmers market. I'm excited to buy some and make this bread.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like something I could eat for breakfast everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely apple loaf! I can start to see a lot of food bloggers easing into fall early (myself included), and I'm loving it. Beautiful photos and a very creative recipe. Thanks for sharing, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of serving this apple loaf with soft ricotta and honey. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my kind of treat! Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous photos! This recipe looks super scrumptious too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maria, love the way you're using up your apples. This loaf is perfect for me right now. And the photos are beautiful, as they always are. Best of all, I get to learn about different ingredients than the ones I normally use. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm... Just in time for fall out here! Never used lupine, you have me intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The loaf looks fab and as our apple season is starting it's one I plan to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks wonderful & yes perfect with a cuppa. Beautiful pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is equal parts treat and health food--excellent use for the final batch of apples!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love apples and raisins together. I had to look up the word sultana to be sure you were talking about raisins at first! The bread looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to prepare this version of yours. It looks so delectable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your loaf looks so beautiful the photo is filled with light and everything seems wonderful in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely loaf to enjoy, and I appreciate learning about new flours. Such gorgeous photos, too!

    ReplyDelete