September 24, 2011

Gluten-free coconut cakes


After a hot and dry Friday, the weekend is supposed to be quite rainy and cold here in Sydney. I don't mind the change, especially since the rain will hopefully wash away the dust in the air and on the streets and provide much needed refreshment for my plants in my kitchen garden. It is also a perfect time to catch up on unfinished jobs, which seem to be piling up these days. I have numerous articles to finish, recipes to test and craft projects to do, so rainy day is more than welcome!

These little coconut cakes are a bit of a weekend indulgence. They are rich in flavour, but perfect with a cup of tea. You may want to use a smaller tin, however, as these really are quite fulfilling.

Have a lovely weekend!

Coconut Cakes
(makes about 4-6 small cakes)
 (recipe adapted from taste.com.au)

100g raw caster sugar
75g sorghum flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
45g desiccated coconut
30g almond meal
3 large free-range egg whites
100g extra-virgin coconut oil
unrefined icing sugar, to serve

1. Preheat oven to 200C and prepare a muffin tin. 

2. In a bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, coconut and almond meal. 

3. Stir in the egg whites and melted coconut oil. 

4. Spoon the batter into muffin tins and bake for 20-30 minutes (depending on the size of your tins), or until the cakes feel firm to touch.

5. Cool on a wire rack before dusting with icing sugar.



31 comments:

  1. delicious as always, Maria. Very elegant presentation, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Perfect for an afternoon pick me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos! Coconut cakes are great for all coconut lovers! I too have a recipe in my blog which I completely loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I love the flavor of coconut. Have a lovely weekend puttering around. The weather here is supposed to swing back to summer for the weekend and I plan to enjoy the sunshine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cakes look so sweet, and delicious. I've never heard of sorghum flour. I love how you keep using all of these unusual flours. I'm off to google to read up on sorghum flour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look gorgeous. I appreciate the return to gluten free recipes on your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great! I love everything coconut and since they are gluten free I will be able to prepare a batch for our next morning tea (a couple of the girls are gluten free). Thank you for the recipe Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd just love to make these - if only i could find the coconut. It has completely vanished from my pantry - tupperware container and all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous and delicious! Thanks for this one - I'll be trying it soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They sound perfect, Auckalnd had a beautiful weather Fri and Sat but now a cold wet Sun and definitely baking weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you had me at coconut... i eat, breath and smell of coconut. <3 coco!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious! Love your photos, love your blog...it's always full of inspiration. Alison x p.s now that the rain is here, it feels like it will never stop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The almond meal, coconut and sorghum flour make for a very interesting dry combination to try! Shall certainly see what I can make of the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this a perfect recipe for my friend! great photos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm there's something so Delish about coconut cake and theselook no different! Gorgeous and i love the wooden cake stand too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I missed out on the warmth and just came back to the cold so I'm a bit confused by the weather! But these GF coconut cakes are gorgeous-no confusion here :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. they look so lovely, it rained soooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look beautiful, not crumbly or dry and I cant wait to try them

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awsome! Will pass this on to my coworker who can't eat gluten. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How beautiful these look! Never cooked with sorghum flour before. Always a first time for everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Delicious! Coconut is one of my faves. These look so tasty - perfect for a rainy day in

    ReplyDelete
  22. At least rainy days mean more time spent cooking up amazing cakes like this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not sure if I love the photos or the cakes better? I want to make these. Thanks for the inspiration and recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a light and flavorful treat, maria! i'm such a fan of coconut, and this is a simple way to enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, these look divine...such lovely cakes and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adorable! Love coconut so these would make a great weekend treat :)

    ReplyDelete