August 24, 2011

Japanese inspired sweet potato with umeboshi dressing


Don't let the look and feel of this post fool you - spring is definitely in the air here in Sydney and the Australian natives are in full bloom. I am loving the warmer and slightly longer days and cannot wait for the fresh spring produce!


But in the spirit of the last couple of weeks of winter, this Japanese inspired sweet potato dish is a perfect side dish or a light meal. I've gone to town with bold flavours, using one of my favourite ingredients - umeboshi to dress the sesame and ichimi roasted sweet potato. If you're a new-comer to Japanese flavours, perhaps go a little lighter on the umeboshi, as it can be quite sour (which I love).

 Sesame and ichimi roasted sweet potato...

1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
a good pinch of ichimi (or to taste)

...with umeboshi dressing

5-7 umeboshi, pitted
1 tablespoon white (shiro) miso
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon rapadura sugar
juice of 1 orange
a few drops of sesame oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or brown rice vinegar

sesame seeds, to serve (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 200C and line a baking tray with baking paper.

2. Toss the sweet potato in olive oil and place the chunks on the baking tray. Season with sesame seeds and ichimi and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until just tender (try not to over-cook them). 

3. In the meanwhile, place all the dressing ingredients in a food processor and purée into a smooth dressing.

4. Toss the roasted sweet potato in the dressing, sprinkle with some extra sesame seeds and serve warm.


28 comments:

  1. A wonderful dish! Refined and tasty. I've never had umeboshi.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look beautiful! And since fall is in the air here in the U.S., I can start getting excited about sweet potatoes! :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  3. A unique combination! I love the way you put together interesting flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this reminds me of when we lived in Japan. We heard this ice cream-like truck pass by all the time. Finally, one day we went up to one of the trucks to see what they were selling. It was roasted sweet potatoes! They were so good. Perhaps they had some of these flavors in your recipe. Your dish does look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this recipe, must try one day...
    your photos always great, and i never get bored of your creations :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious!

    The shots are great! I featured some of them on WeHeartIt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont know what an umeboshi is! :( but it sure looks good. Even sweet potato with sesame oil and seeds would be delish :) I'm looking forward to full blown summer when I can get a tan again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet these are so good with the sweetness from the potatoes and crunch of the seeds. Plus, anything with that dressing has to be amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. the pictures are so amazing! And sweet potatoes..oh how much I love them, especially cos they are so easy to use..ur recipe is Favorited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recipe & pictures. Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting ingredients...I've never heard of umeboshi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its a beautiful dish, simple and warm, and the light is literally shining through this in your gorgeous photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful dish and such gorgeous photos. Congrats on your two-year blog anniversary! Hope you will spoil us with your delicious recipes for many more years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cast iron ramekins! Sounds like a intriguing dish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello hello and so sorry for the absence!
    We are now happily settled in Sweden after a pretty tiring move & transition. Am finally easing back into blogging again and am so happy to pop in here to see how you are.

    I am both happy and envious to hear about the Sydney Spring - it's such a wonderful time of the year.
    Sweden is sinking into Autumn and the fruit trees are heavy with ripe yumminess waiting to be picked. Can't wait for the plums to ripen - plum pie, chutney and other treats will make their way onto my dining table!

    This dish looks very interesting. Haven't tried any of these Japanese flavourings - how fun!

    Enjoy Spring and be well.

    x Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever use of ingredients - sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love Japanese flavours :) what a great light dish or a perfect side to a mini banquet :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Umeboshi is one of those things that people either love or hate - I for one, love umeboshi! I think umeboshi dressing would go with any Asian-inspired dish. Lovely photos, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The photos are beautiful and now you have my interest with these foods I have never heard nor seen. Must check them out at my next Asian market!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia - magnolias and cherries exhuberant in early spring blossom, sulphur-crested cockatoos in screaching flight, a flock of King Island parrots who think mine is a friendly place - darned mynahs building their nests and already asserting territorial rights - and your Japanese inspired sweet potato dish, which I'll try to copy at the earliest opportunity - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Maria - do you use tinned umeboshi or can you get it at the Sydney markets? :) ?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maria, this is such a lovely dish! I love sweet potatoes and the sourness from umeboshi is well balanced! The whole orange juice sounds like a nice hint too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. yum, this sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree about awaiting the arrival of the spring produce. These photos are lovely as is the recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have never tried umeboshi before. This looks delicious. I love your photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll have to look around for umeboshi. It sounds like a great addition to sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey, This is looking so Gud and Appetizing… ! A very well made post with beautiful pictures. I've bookmarked this special recipe of urs and wud love to give it a shot asap. Have a wonderful week ahead. Thanks & Regards, Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete