June 06, 2011

Jerusalem artichokes with rosemary, lemon and pecans

 

Sometimes the ingredients that are only available for a short period of time are even more fascinating and intriguing than those that you see more throughout the year. Jerusalem artichokes definitely belong to this category of more rare veggies and I go mad about them as soon as I first see them hitting the markets. I think this delicious root vegetable is actually a bit misunderstood and underrated. Packed with iron, Jerusalem artichokes are a perfect veggie to add into your everyday meals, so embrace these gems and make most of them when they are available.

This simple dish is a celebration of seasonal flavours. I've adapted Terry Walter's recipe and I think this is a superbly delicious way to savour Jerusalem artichokes. I've pared them with garlic, lemon and fresh rosemary and served with baby spinach and toasted pecans this makes a delicious lunch for one or a nice side dish for two.

Jerusalem artichokes with rosemary, lemon and pecans
(Recipe adapted from Clean Start by Terry Walters)

10 Jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, grated
1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves picked
1/2 lemon, juiced
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper
baby spinach, to serve
handful of pecans, toasted, to serve

1. Peel the Jerusalem artichokes and cut into thin slices.

2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the sunchokes and fry for 2-3 minutes. 

3. Add the garlic, rosemary and lemon juice and continue to sauté for a few minutes. Add a tablespoon or two of water to deglaze the pan. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Serve the Jerusalem artichokes with baby spinach and pecans.

32 comments:

  1. I love the before and after pictures. This looks like something I am definitely going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As good as Jerusalem artichokes are, it's the pecans that make this dish shine for me. I adore them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! I never know what to do with jerusalem artichokes. Love the flavors here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This side looks awesome! Will try the recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn it. Just saw that photo and now I must must must have some pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever had these before but will be on the look out! Love the simplicity of the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow they look amazing and funny, I dont think Ive ever had them!?

    today i bought white nectarines. another of those "only lasts a few weeks but when they're in season they're heavenly" type foods !

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're kidding! those look like ginger roots, even cut up! Looks new and very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Jerusalem arties...when I see them in the store I am sure to snatch them up! Interesting and lovely recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That surely looks very interesting and delicious dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are looking amazing at the markets aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard or tried Jerusalem artichokes, but it certainly looks lovely. I love how you tossed pecans in it:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one original dish! I really like that pairing. I've used Jerusalem artichokes together with hazelnuts, but never tries serving them with pecans. Yummy!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great way to use them, how appealing and fresh! Lovely.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What healthy and refreshing spread! You are lucky to get such exotic and unusual ingredients to cook with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thats so pretty.

    ive never cooked with artichokes before, my mum makes artichoke water.. if that makes sense.. its suppose to clean ur insdies

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jerusalem artichokes are something completely new to me. You always find the most interesting and wholesome ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A perfect picnic dish- fresh and clean. They almost look like ginger when unpeeled and water chestnuts when served.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never had jerusalem artichokes but am always open to new fruits and veggies -- your dish looks simple, healthy, and delish as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing. I have never had the pleasure to cook with Jerusalem artichokes before but your dish looks so good I might have to get me some at all costs! I am on the search!

    Oh and I have a AWESOME Olive Oil Giveaway on my blog today. the company DEVO has so many difference infused flavors to choose from. You would love this so be sure to stop by and tell everyone you can !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting simple yet wonderful dish, love the flavors added!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never tried Jerusalem artichokes though I have seen them. Maybe I can give them a go the next time. You inspire me to try new ingredients once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I see Jerusalem artichokes at the farmer's market all the time and I've never bought one! I am SO making this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought Jerusalem artichokes look like ginger when I first saw it. It's my first time seeing it. I like how you turn those ingredients into a beautiful dish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I did not know these were packed with iron and since I am on the lookout for such a feature, I will be hunting those! Love the flavors in your salad~

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an unusual but lovely combination, I have only ever put jerusalem artichokes in soup but this looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I love jerusalem artichokes! Perfect in a puree too :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never tried jerusalem artichokes, but they sure look mighty delicious! I can see how they'd work really well with the toasted pecans though!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks really delicious. I love your blog. I always learn and see some new dishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love jerusalem artichokes, but can't seem to find them at the market. I'll have to look a bit harder so I can make this great looking dish!

    ReplyDelete