May 18, 2011

Sweet quince chutney with poor man's orange


Lately I've been spoilt with almost weekly visits to the countryside and I'm becoming addicted to buying  fresh produce from the farms or, even better - picking my own fruit and vegetables. On my last trip I was fortunate to visit a beautiful private garden with big citrus trees, a sublime veggie patch and even a pistachio tree! I was given a big bag full of vibrantly yellow Meyer lemons (which are still waiting to be used) and something I had never seen or even heard of before - a poor man's orange.

Turns out this fruit, which is also known as the New Zealand grapefruit is very high in pectin and thus perfect for making jams and marmalades. It looks like a grapefruit and has a similar taste to a grapefruit, but has a high amount of seeds (thus, the pectin). I decided to use the juice of the fruit to make this sweet chutney. I still had a couple of quinces to use so I chopped them up and boiled them with the juice until really soft. Seeing that I've only used a couple of tablespoons of honey along with a tablespoon of natural vanilla sugar you can hardly call this a 'jam', so I thought sweet chutney is more accurate. We enjoyed it at breakfast with oatmeal, but you could easily pair it with cheese and crackers, or have it with some creamy yoghurt or good vanilla bean ice cream. 


Sweet quince chutney with poorman's orange

2 ripe quinces, chopped into chunks
1 poorman's orange (or grapefruit)
2 tablespoons manuka honey
1 tablespoon natural, raw vanilla sugar

1. Place all ingredient in a large saucepan. Bring to boil. Turn down the heat and let simmer for about 40-60 minutes or until fully cooked and very soft. Add some water during the cooking if needed.

2. Gently mash the quince if necessary and serve with porridge, cheese, yoghurt or good vanilla bean ice cream.