May 22, 2011

Layered Meyer lemon yoghurt dessert


There is something so irresistible in citrus desserts. Alongside with berries, they are my favourite choice for a sweet treat. Knowing this, you probably understand how excited I was when during one of my recent visits to the countryside I was given a big bag full of gorgeously yellow Meyer lemons - picked straight from the tree.

Meyer lemons are sweeter than other lemon varieties and they have a thinner skin with a rounded fruit. The skin is smooth and vibrantly yellow and can be used in a variety of sweet and savoury dishes. I am a real lemon lover and can eat them on their own or as a hot drink with water and a big dollop of manuka honey. Filled with vitamin C, lemons are also great for alkalising your body.


I got this dessert idea when I was watching Jamie's 30-minute meals the other day. I'm a huge fan of Jamie, as I'm sure many of you are as well. I think what he's been doing in the world of food, especially with kids and school lunches, is just something so inspirational. I also think his food philosophy and approach to cooking is very down to earth and sensible and makes him easy to love and admire.

This dessert is easy to adapt to a gluten-free or dairy-free diet. You could use rolled rice or coconut flakes and replace the yoghurt with silken tofu or dairy-free yoghurt. You could even use oranges instead of Meyer lemons and sweeten the yoghurt with maple syrup or raw honey. This had a perfect sweetness for my taste and it was a delicious treat on a lazy Saturday afternoon.


Layered Meyer lemon yoghurt dessert
(serves 2)


::Base::

1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup rolled spelt
2 tablespoons flaked almonds
1 tablespoon raw cacao nibs
1 tablespoon raw natural vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

5 pitted dates
1 tablespoon extra-virgin coconut oil

::Meyer lemon yoghurt::

500g natural, pot-set, yoghurt
zest of 2 Meyer lemons, grated
juice of 1/4 Meyer lemon
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Manuka honey

grated zest of 1/2 Meyer lemon, extra, for serving
fresh mint, for serving

1. Place the yoghurt in a sieve lined with muslin, placed on top of a bowl, and leave to drain for 1-2 hours.

2. Place the rolled oats, spelt, almonds, cacao nibs, vanilla sugar and cinnamon in a large frying pan and toast for a few minutes or until browned. (Be careful not to burn it!)

3. Pour the mixture into a  bowl of a food processor and ground until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add the dates and the coconut oil and continue to ground until the mixture starts to come together. Spoon the mixture into serving glasses or jars and flatten the bottom. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

4. Flavour the drained yoghurt with the zest and the juice of Meyer lemons (or oranges), vanilla and honey. Spoon the mixture on top of the chilled bases (which should have hardened in the fridge). Serve with extra grated lemon zest and fresh mint.

43 comments:

  1. Love the presentation on this one! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what a fun summertime dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I am always in awe of the photos and creativity displayed in your site. Meyer lemons are indeed wonderful, all lemons for that matter; there is a huge difference between lemons one buys at the supermarket (no fragrance) and the ones that one gets locally from a farmer. I love the contrast between crunchy and creamy and tangy in your dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Browse away:) I´m reading all yours right now.. Such beautiful photos and much love!
    awesome to put the dessert in a jar. I love those things too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely and healthy dessert! I wouldn't actually mind this for breakfast right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I see a recipe for anything to do with meyer lemons, I'm filled with a brning jealousy. I positively desperate to try them, but I can't find them anywhere!
    This is a gorgeous looking recipe too. I really admire how you can come up with such healthy, yet absolutely delicious looking recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely dessert!
    I can feel the smell of these amazing yellow lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Inventive and healthy and fresh, I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks too pretty to eat! Lemon and honey tea is what I turn to when I have a cold too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dish set in those jars. Kids would love something like that. Adults too, I'm sure. I have just discovered Meyer lemons this year. I had no idea there was a sweeter variety.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If only the Meyers on my dwarf tree weren't done for the season. Sigh. But I can't wait to try this recipe when the new yellow orbs start popping up in late winter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome presentation....love d yummy clicks..
    hope u can send it to my current ongoing event..
    Tasty Appetite
    Event: Letz Relishh Ice Creams

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just lovely, so healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fabulous dessert! I love citrusy flavors.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks absolutely stunning. Simply, healthy and delicious dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So So yummy! Loving the fresh flavors here.I love such layered simple desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ihanat kuvat ja ohje! Meyer-sitruuna on lemppareitani;täällä on tosi lyhyt sesonki vuoden vaihteessa,mutta onneksi olen pakastanut sekä sen mehua että kuoriraastetta;D

    ReplyDelete
  18. how gorgeous is this?? seriously love this post:) thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummmmmmm! A great treat for summer afternoon , I love anything lemony and your's is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the idea with the jars, simply stunning presentation, Maria...:)!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Maria - this looks absolutely divine. You are to clever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Meyer lemons. How I envy those with Meyer lemon trees in the yard garden...

    Beautiful presentation too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks just delicious! I'm a big fan of lemons, although Meyer lemons aren't always easy to find around here. I'll have to keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a fun way to serve these! I dont think we have any meyer lemons here in Indonesia. But i've been reading that they are actually a hybrid between oranges and lemons. Lucky you to get a bagful of them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this. Have something similar planned as my dessert for a Come Dine With Me session with some fellow Dubai food bloggers. I hope it will be a success, as it is something that most people haven't eaten before, but is nevertheless delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How very beautiful. It is sophisticated in its simplicity. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. gorgeous photos! My absolute favorite desserts are ones with lemon and or berries also. If I can find some meyer lemons I will be making this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely dessert! I have never tried Meyer lemons, there are non in Croatian market. I too love citrus desserts and your photos are stunning

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for this exceptionally creative Meyer Lemon Yoghurt recipe. Plus, those photos? They're stunning. Absolutely.

    Every year I host a potluck dinner where everyone is asked to bring a Meyer lemon dish, from entrees to desserts. Everything has to have Meyer lemons in it. I just know your Meyer Lemon Yoghurt dessert will be a big hit.

    Loads of appreciative applause in advance from my annual Meyer lemon potluck party guests to you,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think I just found my new favourite dessert. This looks absolutely gorgeous Maria and I love the use of Myer lemons which I adore.

    Like you I'm a huge fan of lemons and have been known to eat them on their own. My favourite is a tall glass filled with lots of ice and lots of lemon slices and then sparkling water poured over the top. I find after a couple of top ups the lemon flavour really comes through.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Maria, you are making me want meyer lemons really badly- your words and pictures have a tendency to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a fabulous dessert and I absolutely love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh this looks so delicious! I love Meyer Lemons!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks delicious, i am a huge fan of citrus too. Good old Jamie :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love citrus desserts, and this look deliciously cute :)

    Hugs,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  36. A great fresh dessert! I must admit I'm a Jamie fan also

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMG, terrific! Those are devilishly scrumptious n refreshingly delicious! :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is awesome! Using silken tofu as a substitute is such a great idea! I think this would double up as a wonderful weekend breakfast too:) Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  39. so cute how u put it in a jar! :D looks like a little pot plant hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This looks simply beautiful Maria! I'm a sucker for any kind of layered dessert and especially with lemon and yoghurt - what a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love Myer lemon and you made yogurt dessert with it! Arrhh so nice!! I can eat like 2 jars. Beautiful pictures and your food styling is very comfty.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This looks amazing! Just made the grapefruit topped with oats and coconut butter/sugar with grapefruit from my mother in laws garden. Amazing!!!! A perfect desert. Your food is so inspired and healthy. I am so happy to have found your site. With this one, would quinoa flakes be an ok substitute for the rolled spelt?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Aususacan: Thank you! So glad to hear you enjoyed the grapefruit treat - it was one of my favourites too! I think you could definitely give this a go with rolled quinoa. I don't see why it wouldn't work! Good luck and please let me know what you thought of it! :-)

    Thanks again,
    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete