February 02, 2011

Rye and Spelt Crusted Smoked Trout Tart


Ok, so I can't seem to stop enthusing over smoked trout. Isn't it just the best summer food (and why not winter too)? I think I've made my point about how versatile it is (see the salad and the paste), but to be on the safe side here's one more dish you can make using this tasty fish. 

It was perhaps not the best idea to bake a tart in this summer heat, but I thought why not since it's going to be hot anyway, right? This smoked trout tart certainly doesn't require a lot of effort even if you are feeling like you're being snowed under (I so hope we were, literally!). There's a lot of taste thanks to fresh dill and chives, and the rye and spelt crust gives an extra healthy twist.


Rye and Spelt Crusted Smoked Trout Tart

{Crust}
1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
1 cup rye flour
pinch of salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup cold water

{Filling}
400g smoked trout, boned and broken into pieces
250g light sour cream
100ml milk
2 large free-range eggs
small bunch dill, finely chopped
small bunch chives, finely chopped
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper

To make the base, add both types of flour into a bowl, season with salt and add the oil and water. Mix into a dough and roll into a large round sheet. Place the sheet on top of a pie dish (25cm, oiled) and even the edges.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes. 

In the meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C and prepare the filling. Place the trout in a bowl and mix in the sour cream. Lightly whisk the eggs with the milk and add them in. Add in the herbs and season. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Blind bake (with baking beads) the base for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the beads and top with the filling. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until the filling feels firm to touch. Let cool, then cut into pieces and serve with fresh salad.

10 comments:

  1. So refined and delicious looking! A perfect summer tart.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally went through a smoked trout phase a few years ago. It's so versatile as you've shown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the next time I come across a smoked trout I'll be buying one. I haven't sctually eaten it for years

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, this tart looks delicious...love it with smoked trout...beautifully done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my kind of dish. Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. maria i am so jealous of your beautiful plating! you have awesome presentation skills and that tart looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria, that tart looks divine! I would love a slice for lunch:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious :) never tried such a tart before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maria, sorry I missed a few of your posts = ) This looks fabulous, really. May I ask, where did you get your background cloth? Love the motif on the plate too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this last night. Didn't have smoked trout since I didn't have time to go properly shopping. I had to use fresh salmon fillets instead. But it was delicious!

    From now on I will start making dinner only of your recipes. I love how you use different flours and all your food seems so healthy and honest! I'll let you know if there is a disappointment there somewhere although I highly doubt it :)

    Keep up the GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete