February 16, 2011

Pear and Semolina Pudding


As with figs and stone fruit, I always get excited about the new season pears. Seeing pears appear in the markets is the first reminder that the summer is coming to a close and it's time to start thinking of autumn recipes. I may be taking a false start as the temperatures are still in their high twenties, but I can't help but prepare myself for the new season.


This pear and semolina pudding reminds me of Åland's pancake which has always been a favourite of mine. Semolina gives the dish a soft texture and pear is such a perfect fruit to use for this dessert. Flavoured with cinnamon and cardamom this is certainly a promise of the cooler season!


Pear and semolina pudding
(Serves 2)

250ml milk
25g semolina

2 large free-range eggs
1 heaped tbsp brown sugar
250ml milk
60g white, unbleached spelt flour
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 pear, cut in half

brown sugar, extra for serving
cinnamon, extra for serving

Start by making the semolina porridge: heat the milk in a saucepan to almost boil. Add the semolina whisking continuously to avoid lumps to form. Bring to boil and keep stirring well every now and then to avoid burning. Simmer for 7-10 minutes, then remove from heat and leave to cool. 

Preheat oven to 200C and grease two large (single-serve) ramekins. Using electric beaters beat the eggs and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the milk, flour, cooled semolina porridge, vanilla and spices and fold well to combine. Pour into the ramekins (no more than 3/4 full).

Bake the puddings for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and top with pear halves. Continue to bake for 30 minutes covering the ramekins with baking paper if necessary. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
 
Indulge and enjoy!

24 comments:

  1. Marvelous and so mouthwatering!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty. Love the font choice in the header!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beeeautiful! I could so picture myself with one of these fine puddings and a massive bowl (I'm thinking a salad bowl would suffice?) of freshly whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, this looks delicious. I do love pears but I am still clinging on to peaches hoping they don't leave too soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are now thinking of spring recipes :)...there are only 2 ways I use pear: (1) eat them as a fruit (2) add them to oats...
    how boring...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe so true! I remember saying that to a friend about the pears appearing signifying the end of summer fruit. It's sad but I love pears too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mum used to make us semolina pudding as kids, simply with a bit of sugar and dusting of cocoa. This version is just superb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is just beautiful!!!! i've never, ever had semolina pudding but this post makes me want to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks wonderful. The pictures are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Semolina pudding looks so yummy. And those pears makes a winning combination for me. I would have it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous dessert, this must be really good.
    Great shots too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maria,
    Åland's pancake is also my favorite. These look very good and lovely pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks delicioush!!! Never heard of this combo though. Should try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A work of art. Simple and beautiful!
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been looking for a reason to use all the Semolina that Stephen bought for pasta and then abandoned, and I've found it! Great photos, I feel like I can taste this dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maria, this is such a lovely dessert. I've been browsing through some of your earlier features as well. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. I look forward to spring too. Everythings been frozen and produce is limited and pricey. I refuse to buy produce that has crossed the ocean! Alas, I am going through fruit withdraw.
    This looks so perfect, I love the flours you used. This is exactly my kind of dessert!
    Thank you so much for sharing. beautiful pictures btw!

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks great!

    check out our blog!

    http://kimchicsisters.blogspot.com/2011/02/amazing-milk-chocolate-lollipops-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum! Healthy and delicious and a great use for pears!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this makes me smile :) looks so delicious and wholesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh this looks wonderful Maria! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  22. so happy to have spotted you. subscribing right now! i live in london but am originally from latvia with culinary influences similar to yours, i think. delicate, verging on the bland, quiet, warmingly spicy, milky. and the berries! your photoraphy has a nice warm but nordic stillness to it.

    ReplyDelete