January 04, 2011

Barley Porridge with Lingonberries


My family has always been big on porridges. Mum used to feed us porridge every morning when we were small, and I never grew out of taste for it. Porridge is such a versatile, healthy dish to have and there are so many kinds to try! Think of rice, rye, oat, potato (that's right!), semolina, barley, and the list goes on. You can cook them on a stove top or in the oven, or have them raw; flavour them with berries or spices, anything you can think of! Now how cool is that?! ;-)

Barley porridge is one of my favourites, and in Finland I used to cook it in the oven using whole barley grains. This time we used pre-roasted cracked barley and made it into a creamy porridge on the stove top. Delicious topped with whole, frozen lingonberries!

Barley Porridge with Lingonberries
(Recipe adapted from Myllynparas)

200ml water
130g pre-cooked, cracked barley
700ml milk
pinch of salt

In a large saucepan, bring the water to boil. Add the barley and cook for a few minutes until the water has almost disappeared. Add milk, bring to boil and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until the barley has cooked through. Take off the heat, stir through a pinch of salt and serve with frozen berries.

Print

11 comments:

  1. Mmm lingonberries. Your posts often make me feel like I should go on a grocery trip to Ikea for some Scandinavian goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely porridge and it looks so festive topped with lingonberries! The perfect way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love porridge, specially during this cold weather...unfortunately we do not have lingonberries...so nice presented :-) Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!A healthy breakfast treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. barley is one of my favs too! i rem reading about your rye porridge and wondered what it tastes like!
    adorable mittens btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the kheer we make in India. The berries would be difficult to get it here. Hmm. shall find some replacement though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had barley porridge before! it sounds soo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish lingonberries were easier to find here! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks amazing! all the best from germany, uwe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel so sheltered that I've only ever had rolled oats for porridge! This must be rectified as soon as winter comes around, although I think I'll have to settle for lingonberry jam!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking and I am sure tasting blog? I am a Swede living in Sydney and my local supplier of frozen lingonberries just closed his shop. Can you help me finding a new source? My porridge is not the same without them!

    ReplyDelete