December 10, 2010

Salmon Cooked in Coconut Milk

Red chilli, lime, coconut... these are not the ingredients you see me use very often. I used to shun Thai food because the above mentioned ingredients are so common in Thai cooking. Although I am now much more used to these flavours, and embrace the dishes they feature in, I still don't seem to cook with them much at home.

I happened to have a can of coconut milk at home so I started browsing for some ideas on how to combine it with salmon I was planning to cook for dinner that night. I found a perfect recipe that not only compared the two, but used limes which I also happened to have at home!

This is such a fragrant dish, and even if you're not a chilli person (and I'm not), I can guarantee you can handle the heat in this dish because the creaminess of the coconut milk takes away most of it, and leaves just enough to give it a bit of a kick. Served with jasmine rice this is a welcoming change for my kitchen :-)


Salmon Cooked in Coconut Milk
(Recipe adapted from BBC Food)

450g salmon fillets, boned
1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely sliced
piece of ginger, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
5-7 cardamom pods, crushed

1 tin (organic and light) coconut milk
2 limes, juiced and zested

desiccated coconut, toasted, to serve
lime wedges, to serve
lime zest, to serve

Preheat oven to 180C. Place the salmon fillets in an oven dish and sprinkle over the chilli, ginger, garlic and cardamom. Whisk the coconut milk and the lime juice in a bowl and pour over the fish. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until the fish has cooked through.

Serve the fish with jasmine rice, spoon over some of the coconut sauce and sprinkle with coconut and lime zest. Serve with an extra lime wedge.

Enjoy!

Print

12 comments:

  1. Yum, Maria. This sounds so healthful and delicious. You always make the best stuff. Your family must be very happy with you;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh this looks good! Am scared to Thai food but I'm sure I can give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool, I have salmon and I have coconut milk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the opposite - Thai flavors make me happy no matter what! And this meal, especially with my favorite fish, looks like one that I would adore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a scrumptious dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful flavors and such a simple preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cardamon in coconut milk made this extra intriguing for me. But I know I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have such a habit of combining my favourite things :) Love the toasted coconut on top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My coconut milk split - probably from the lime juice. It was still delicious, but how do you stop that from happening?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Andy,

    I'm sorry, but not sure what might prevent that from happening! I don't remember having that problem and the original recipe doesn't mention that either!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your blog when I was looking to combine salmon with a can of coconut milk today.... I didn't have the exact ingredients but made do with red curry paste, garlic, fresh ginger and juice from 1 lemon cooked in the coconut milk.... poured it over the fish and into the oven like you explained and right before serving I sprinkled fresh finely diced red onion and cilantro/coriander over it... served with rice and steamed broc! YUMMY! You made my night! thanks!

    ReplyDelete