December 31, 2010

Leipäjuusto - Bread Cheese

Happy New Year's Eve everyone!

We are taking it easy this New Year's Eve and spending it here in Finland with my family. We are planning a selection of interesting nibbles for tonight, but I'll share more of that with you later ;-)

I couldn't possibly leave out a post dedicated to one of my favourite Finnish cheeses, leipäjuusto (leipä=bread, juusto=cheese), also known as Finnish squeaky cheese. I've made sure to enjoy this mild and highly addictive cheese daily while in Finland; either with a hot cup of coffee or with cloudberries. Inspired by our trip to Japan, I also paired leipäjuusto with kaki (or persimmon), and found it works surprisingly well!

I wish you the best of health for the upcoming year; eat well and enjoy!

Leipäjuusto with cloudberry sauce

Persimmon & Leipäjuusto with Cloudberry Sauce*
(Serves 4)

4 persimmons
leipäjuusto (about 50g)
150g cloudberries, pureed

Cut out the tops of the persimmons and scoop out the insides. Set aside. Chop the
leipäjuusto into small cubes and cut the persimmon flesh into pieces. Mix the cheese with the fruit and fill in the persimmon cups with the mixture. Drizzle the mixture generously with the cloudberry sauce.

*You can try replacing the cheese with another mild cheese and use cloudberry jam (made into a runnier paste with some water for example) as a substitute.
Cloudberry jams are available in most Scandinavian shops and IKEA.

Print

11 comments:

  1. Yum! It must be squeeky like haloumi, just not as salty? Sounds great. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks delish! happy new year maria!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cute cheese pieces there. Happy 2011 to you, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm I wish I could find that here! It looks delicious!

    Happy new Year Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, you know whats funny? THe recipe only has 3 ingredients, but I've never tried any of them. I want to though, it looks lovely!
    Wishing you a fab 2011. Happy New Years to you and your family :)
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY NEW YEAR my gorgeous Maria! Thanks so much for coming into my life this year. It may still be virtual but we'll make it real next year. Love you lots!

    ps. is the squeaky cheese like haloumi? cos I call haloumi squeaky cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the leipäjuusto looks delicious. I've never even tried cloudberries, but I hope to while studying abroad in Copenhagen this spring. Check out my food blog detailing my journey! http://hyggelicious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting cheese! Love the combo with persimmon. Happy New Year, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cheese looks so pretty. I'm curious as it to its texure and taste too - I presume like John it's a little like haloumi? Happy New Year Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, mikä versio tuossa lopussa :) Sulla on kyllä kuvaaminen hallussa- aivan mielettömiä nämä kuvat ja tunnelmat! Onnellista uutta vuotta ja mukavaa loppulomaa Suomessa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to be able to buy it here in Australia ... Halloumi is not the same!!

    And I have another 12 mos to wait for my next visit to Finland :(

    ReplyDelete