December 06, 2010

Finn Crisp Rolls with Avocado and Smoked Salmon Filling

My partner was having an international lunch day at work and asked me if I was keen to make a dish for him to bring along. I never refuse an opportunity to cook so of course I said yes!

Finn Crisps (we call them hapankorppu) is something all Finns love and we are really big on dry bread (or, as you might call them, crackers). These aren't your average 'crackers', however, they are often nearly 100% rye and thus high in fibre, and very low in fat. In Australia you can find Finn Crisps in most supermarkets, Scandinavian stores or speciality food stores. Unfortunately I can't think of anything to replace them with for this recipe, but if you can think of something, do let me know!

Finn Crisp Rolls are almost a classic at Finnish parties, and I can imagine them being a staple at many pre-Christmas parties that normally take place already in November all over Finland. The filling is often made using Philadelphia cheese, but I've opted for a healthier version using avocado and it works really well! There are many versions of fillings available too, from ham to smoked salmon to totally vegetarian versions, but I wanted to give them a more Scandinavian feel by using smoked salmon and fresh dill.

I couldn't help but feel these rolls are like an example of our home: they look like sushi rolls (Japanese), there's avocado (Australian), smoked salmon (Scandinavian) and rye (German and Scandinavian). Perfect sample dish for an international lunch and a perfect entrée to serve on the Finnish Independence Day which is today!


Finn Crisp Rolls with Avocado and Smoked Salmon
(Makes 15)

15 Finn Crisps
1 litre vegetable stock

Filling

1,5 avocadoes, mashed
1/2 lemon, juiced
60g smoked salmon, finely chopped
salt
freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped

Heat the vegetable stock in a large saucepan until hot but not boiling. Turn off the heat. Prepare a cookie tin by lining it with baking paper. Drop the Finn Crisps into the stock (3-4 at a time), and soak for a few seconds so that both sides get soaked. Using a slotted spoon, remove from the stock and place on the tin. Continue with the rest of the crisps.

To make the filling, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine. Spoon small amount of the filling on each crisp bread and roll. Place the rolls seem side down into a container and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Serve as a starter or 'finger food'.
Print

18 comments:

  1. You are too good to Mr Scandi Foodie. Still doing the vacuuming when you had your bad back and now making food for his bring and share day. I hope he realises how lucky he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo what a lovely combo!! must hunt down these Finnish crisps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Maria, I love the idea of salmon and avocado...it sure looks great as appetizer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of that filling! I would stuff a HUGE sandwich with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Näyttää niin hyvältä! Todella mukava yhdistelmä täytteenä. Vaikka voisi kuvitella että suomalaisena olisin maistanut mutta minulle tämä rulla oli uusi idea, kiitos siitä :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how cute are those! Cool idea, this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look really delicious! I will definitely look for Finn Crisps here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like such a great mix of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks very interesting. Never had this mix of flavors before. Lovely lighting. I like the sunny feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first time hearing Finn Crips. Is it some kind of bread?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh Finncrisp! They definitely remind me of Finland and Mr NQN's mum who eats them with hommous and avocado :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooh. Those look like the perfect appetizer. They look like the sort that doesn't make it out of my kitchen because I've eaten most of them and there are only a couple left, and you can't serve just a couple appetizers to a bunch of people, so why don't I just finish off the last two and make everyone something else?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful appetizer with a great combination of flavors. I love anything with avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this sounds so yummy! i really love how pretty this looks:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks perfect. Your food scream healthy and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh those rolls are so gorgeous! They must taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many favourite things in this. My sister and I were just discussing today how awesome smoked salmon on rye sandwiches are, and this is a super cool version of this. Super cool, I tells ya!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our local stores in VA, USA have stopped carrying Finn Crisps! They are out of their minds! Will have to order over the internet! Your recipe sounds marvellous - I must try it! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete