November 16, 2010

Avocado and Walnut Bread


It's not the first time I eat something in a restaurant and instantly think "how can I recreate this at home?". In fact, this happens to me most of the time if I'm having something that is really nice, but at least seemingly easy to make at home. I had one of these moments after having the Burnt Orange Cafe's walnut bread with avocado, and I couldn't wait to try making my version of it.

In Finland I used to bake my own bread all the time. Somehow the flour there was easier (for me) to work with, there was more flour varieties available, and I always had fresh yeast to use for making bread rolls or other bread at home. After moving to Australia I not only mostly stopped eating bread (because I couldn't quite find rye bread I was happy with), but I also stopped baking it. During the years of living here I've of course baked bread many times, but never in the same scale as in Finland where I used to bake bread almost every week. Nowadays I mostly make loaves, sweet or savoury, and in my opinion they really are the easiest and quickest way to enjoy freshly baked goodies at home.

This avocado and walnut bread will definitely become a new favourite of mine. Walnuts are by far my favourite nut and avocado just adds another level of goodness to this bread. I'm so happy my version of the bread worked, so you can imagine I'm quite excited to share this recipe with you ;-)


Avocado and Walnut Bread
(Recipe adapted from NY Times)

1 cup organic white, unbleached spelt flour
3/4 cup organic whole spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
4 large free-range eggs
1/2 cup organic fat-free yoghurt
1 avocado, mashed
3 tbsp walnut oil
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a standard size loaf tin.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Beat the eggs in another bowl and beat in the yoghurt, avocado and oil. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, add the walnuts and fold to combine. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Enjoy!

Print