October 08, 2010

Vegetable Quiche


So my little plan of making my partner have (at least) one fully vegetarian dinner a week continues. Last week was a success, and I knew it would be hard to top the delicious lasagna, but I thought I would be quite safe with a vegetarian quiche. Some of you might remember my previous experiments with a rice crusted base, and I wanted to try something healthier this time too.

I have been totally convinced that there is no need to use plain wheat flour in cooking and baking. I have found spelt flour a wonderful substitute, and after experimenting with gluten-free cooking and baking, I am now more than ever willing to ditch all wheat flour in my kitchen.

This quiche base does not only use the healthier and more nutritious spelt flour, it also uses olive oil instead of butter and dried herbs for extra flavour. The filling is a wonderful mix of vegetables, and these you can easily change according to the seasonal availability. I have used low fat ricotta in this and left out the extra cheese, and trust me it has so much flavour it doesn't need any extra toppings!

I think we have another winner and I get to continue with my weekly vegetarian dinners! ;-)


Vegetable Quiche

Crust
(Recipe adapted from My New Roots)

2 cups organic spelt flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup cold water
1 tsp of dried rosemary
tiny pinch of sea salt

Filling

1 tbs olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
10 small cup mushrooms, sliced
3 small tomatoes, chopped
2 bunches English spinach, washed, leaves only (can also use stalks if thin)
1 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary (you could also use oregano)
ground black pepper
2 tbs kalamata olives, pitted and chopped roughly

Topping

400g ricotta (low fat)
2 large free-range eggs
ground black pepper
tiny pinch of sea salt

Preheat the oven to 170C.

To make the base place the flour and the spices in a bowl and mix. Sprinkle with olive oil and mix with a fork. Add the water, then mix well to combine. Knead the dough gently just enough for it to become smooth and combined. Roll the dough into a large round disk, and place on a 28cm round quiche dish. Smooth edges and trim of any extra. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.

In the mean while prepare the filling. Wilt the spinach in boiling water for 1 or 2 minutes, drain, cool under running water, then drain again and squeeze out all excess water. Chop the spinach roughly. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion and sauté for a few minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and chopped spinach. Season with dried herbs, pinch of salt and black pepper. Sauté for another few minutes. Take off the heat and add in the chopped olives.

Prick the crust with a fork all over. Cover the dish with a large piece of baking paper, then fill the cavity with ceramic baking beans (or dried beans). Bake the base in the oven for about 15 minutes.

To make the topping, place the ricotta and the eggs in a bowl. Season with pepper and salt and mix well together.

Take the base out of the oven, take out the baking paper and the beans, and spoon in the filling. Spread the filling evenly on the base. Spoon on the topping and spread evenly. Bake the quiche for a further 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Leave to cool before cutting.

Have a lovely weekend!


Print

11 comments:

  1. This is very similar to what I made last night! Exact same topping. Only I didn't make any pastry. I will definately try making this pasty though. I have some spelt flour ready to go. I just need to get a quiche dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a good quiche and I often actually prefer vegetarian ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're teasing me with this quiche Maria. I'm sitying on the train on my way home, starving! And I have nothing prepared for dinner. Can I come over?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea of vegetarian dinners!! =) This quiche looks delicious! And the pastry sounds really interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quiche looks gorgeous. I am just wondering, is spelt flour gluten free?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound like me, I try to fit in at least one vegetarian meal a week to balance out our diets. I'd eat less meat than I do except that my husband loves it. This quiche looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi all and thank you so much for your comments!

    John, you were heading to wrong direction! Haha There would've been plenty to feed you as well ;-)

    Ellie, spelt is not gluten-free, but has a lower "gluten strength".

    Maria

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will teach your man to love vegetarian cooking yet! This quiche looks fantastic. I would much prefer it to the bacon-filled version anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria, thanks for sharing this... Your blog has become one of the 2 ( the other is Joanne's Eats Well With Others..) that I visit for ideas on healthy recipes... I can't wait to try this...my vegetarian sister will be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a glorious looking quiche. I'm always looking for good vegetarian recipes and my sister loves quiche.

    ReplyDelete