October 31, 2010

Sweet Basil and Chocolate Crepes


Crepes or pancakes are such a simple treat for a lazy Sunday, but I've made them a bit more exciting by adding a touch of sweet basil in the mix. Combining chocolate with sweet basil dawned to me by an accident; I was sipping my herbal tea that has sweet basil in it and I was having my cuppa, as I so often do, with a piece of dark chocolate. This combination would make a wonderful cake, but for a lazy Sunday, crepes will do.

These sweet basil and chocolate crepes are great drizzled with agave or maple syrup and some dark shaved chocolate. If you are really indulging, you could add some good vanilla ice cream as well. Once again I have used spelt flour instead of normal plain flour, and sweetened the mixture with natural vanilla and agave nectar. You could use honey instead if you like.


Sweet Basil and Chocolate Crepes

1 cup white spelt flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup unsweetened, pure cacao
1 tsp dried sweet basil
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
2 tbs raw honey
3 large free-range eggs
1 cup low-fat milk

olive oil, for frying

Mix together all ingredients instead of the olive oil. Stir until smooth. Heat a medium frying pan on high, brush the pan with olive oil and add a scoop of crepe mixture. Cook on both sides for a minute or two until cooked through. Continue with the rest of the mixture. Serve with raw honey or maple syrup and dark, shaved chocolate.



Print

14 comments:

  1. Wow, what a clever combination! I don't think I've ever heard of that before. And I like how you came up with it too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the basil & choc combo! Also love the idea of drizzling maple syrup and shaving over chocolate bits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful combination of flavours, I like that you use olive oil for frying the crepes too, too many recipes have been really overdoing the butter when olive oil is just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great combo of flavors! I love how you came up with this idea...very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is 'wow'! If you ever need help eating this types of treats, just call out my name... and I'll come right on over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maria - I'd love to try this dish - so I've got a question for you - what is unsweetened pure cacao?

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMMM,...Maria!! Your special & alternative pancakes makes my mouth water,...They look fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never thought to combine basil and chocolate before but it sounds like such a good idea! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria, this is such an interesting flavour pairing. You know what, I really need to get some spelt flour soon...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo sweet basil and chocolate?? thats such an interesting combo!.. will definately have to give it a go sometime.. im totally intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These crepes are beautiful! What a great idea! The flavors sound like an interesting combination, I would be curious to taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh these crepes look incredibly delicious!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for your comments, they really went down a treat!

    Trissa: With unsweetened pure cacao I mean Dutch cacao type, dark cacao powder with no sugar added.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete