October 13, 2010

Grilled Tuna with Wakame-Garden salad and Yuzu Vinaigrette


I know I know... I get excited pretty easily and sometimes it's the smallest things that make me jump up and down and clap my hands together. Often it's food and the recipes I'm trying that give me these spurts of joy and excitement. Take this salad and the yuzu vinaigrette for example! The first taste of the vinaigrette made me do a little pirouette in my tiny kitchen, and after trying the vinaigrette with the salad I felt like doing a few grand jetés around my apartment.

I am getting more and more excited about our upcoming trip to Japan. I've been browsing blogs for the coolest places to eat in and to visit, and I am counting down the days when we jet off! This dish certainly has a nice Japanese vibe to it, and man oh man do I love Japanese food! Have a go at this salad and the vinaigrette next time you're cooking fish. Seriously, it'll blow your mind!


Grilled Tuna with Wakame-Garden Salad
and
Yuzu Vinaigrette

(Recipe adapted from the Gourmet Sleuth)

2 tuna steaks
olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

2 Lebanese cucumbers, diced
2 tomatoes, chopped
handful of baby spinach
1 orange, segmented (finely grate the zest first)
small handful of dried wakame
few tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds

*Yuzu Vinaigrette*

100ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs less salty soy sauce
1 tbs mirin
1 tbs cooking sake
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbs pure yuzu juice
1 garlic clove, grated
small knob of fresh ginger, grated
10cm piece of shallot (white part only), finely chopped
zest of 1/2 orange
zest of 1/2 lemon
tiny pinch of sea salt flakes

To prepare the tuna, set a grilling pan on high heat, brush both sides of the tuna steaks with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the steaks on the hot pan and grill on both sides for a few minutes or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest.

Place the wakame in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let soak for 5-10 minutes. Drain and squeeze out the extra water. Place the cucumber, tomato, baby spinach, orange, and the prepared wakame in a bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Toss to mix.

For the vinaigrette, place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Drizzle the salad with the vinaigrette and toss well to coat. Serve the salad with the tuna steaks or break the steaks into bite size pieces and combine with the salad.

Print

9 comments:

  1. Looks delish! Can't help but smile thinking of you doing balerina steps in the kitchen and around the apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to try this dressing! Is yuzu widely available? Maybe I'm blind and missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday someone was tweeting about making yuzu panna cotta!!! How amazing does that sound? Make it make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful tuna meal!!

    I so much love your Wakame garden salad & that dressing sounds apart & divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your comments!!

    Julie: You might be able to find yuzu in good Japanese grocery stores. In Sydney Chef's Armoury has it and I think it's possible to even order it online from them. :-)

    Maria
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made that vinaigrette is worth pirouetting! Oh, and when do you leave for Japan? It's one of the best places I've ever been to!!! You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like the perfect meal to me. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mitä herkkua! Rakastan grillattua tonnikalaa,ja olen saanut maistaa yuzu-vinaigrettea,johon jäin koukkuun.Yuzu on vain aika kallista täällä,joten se on sellaista vähän ylellisempää herkkua.Kaunis annos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh i am soo jealous!! i wish i were going to Japan soon too!! man that salad does look awesome!! and i love how you've got those criss cross marks on the tuna! very pro! x

    ReplyDelete