October 10, 2010

Berry Spelt Loaf


Berries are something my partner and I both love. When he was spending his school holidays at his dad's blueberry farm, I was foraging the Finnish forests picking all kinds of wild berries. I've spoken about my love for berries before, and they are definitely my favourite ingredient for all kinds of desserts.

I love baking on Sunday mornings, there is something so comforting to have my home smell like freshly baked cake or bread, and they make a lovely special treat for the Sunday afternoon tea. With this recipe, I've used spelt flour again, and I used less butter and sugar making it a bit healthier. I love this with a mountain of low-fat yoghurt, but if you find it too sour you might just want to have it on its own.


Berry Spelt Loaf
(Recipe adapted from My New Roots)

2 1/4 cups organic spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup natural muscovado sugar
2 large free-range eggs
1 cup organic fat-free yoghurt
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mixed frozen berries

Preheat the oven to 170C and grease a 9,5cm x 19cm loaf tin. Mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl. In another bowl, using electric beaters beat the butter and the sugar until pale (2-3 minutes), add the eggs beating well after each addition. Add half of the flour in the batter and mix well. Flavour the yoghurt with the vanilla and fold into the batter. Fold in the rest of the flour and the berries. Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for one hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let the loaf cool in the tin, then turn onto a wired rack. Cut into slices and serve with some plain fat-free yoghurt.

Print

17 comments:

  1. Delicious. So perfect on a sunny Sunday morning, with a cup of coffee! Shame berries are so expensive in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That loaf looks so good! I've never made cake with spelt. Something I'll have to try...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about filling the house with cake baking smells - just lovely. This cake looks delicious (and healthy).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Want to hear something funny? I heard that when you are trying to sell your house you should bake something sweet so that when people come through the door they immediately think good thoughts coz is smells so good! You're right - nothing better than a house that smells of baked goods. Beautiful loaf you've got here Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photosl! I think this loaf cake would be absolutely lovely with a cup of tea on a lazy Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm with you - i love baking desserts with berries in them! good thing is that berries seems to be quite cheap at the moment and I can use fresh berries instead of the frozen ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely texture and a perfect eggless loaf. Like the yogurt in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm posts like this remind me that I definitely don't bake with berries OR spelt flour nearly enough. Such a delicious loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What pretty bread! Topped with the yogurt, I would love to enjoy this for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for your lovely comments!

    Sanjeeta, I am so sorry I had forgotten to add the eggs in the recipe! They were in the instructions part, but not in the main recipe, so unfortunately this loaf is not egg-free!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waw!! That berry spelt loaf looks so tasty & truly wonderful too!


    MMMMMM,...Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't cooked anything with spelt flour yet, will have to finally try it.

    the berry loaf looks fantastic...would make delicious Sunday brunch treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, nothing like the smell of baking early in the morning wafting through the corridors to wake loved ones! Beautiful loaf, beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really wish berries were cheaper here and absolutely envy you being able to forage for them in the wild!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a delicious recipe! I'm not much of a baker, but I reckon I could definitely give this a go. Will put blueberries in mine, reminds me of being home foraging in Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love berries but they are very expensive here in the philippines. And they are rarely available in the market. This would go great with a cup of roasted coffee with the surrounding smell of baking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. simple ingredients and a beautiful loaf! i can see myself making this sometimes soon :) really enjoy all your recipes...healthy and so colourful :D

    ReplyDelete