October 18, 2010

Beetroot-Yuzu Juice


My Juice Bar is finally open! I just couldn't resist sharing this lovely beetroot juice recipe with you (and a word of warning that there might be more juice & smoothie recipes coming), and you can probably imagine how excited I've been about my new juicer. After all, I think I've mentioned it here and on Twitter about half a million times by now ;-)

So finally a whole WEEK after I got my new juicer I had time to start experimenting. I had my fridge packed with vegetables so all I needed to do was get everything prepared and start juicing!

I've never been a big shop-bought juice drinker, but if you are then I do recommend you consider buying a juicer. The one that I got is a heavy duty juicer (1200W), so I can chuck pretty much anything in it and it (hopefully) won't break. It cost me about AUD200, but I really don't think it's a lot especially if you drink a lot of juices. The best thing about making your own juice is of course that it's free of any nasty additives and preservatives, and if you can use organic produce, it's even better!

Have a think about it and if you already happen to have a juicer then have a go at this recipe ;-)


Beetroot-Yuzu Juice

3 medium beets, peeled and chopped in quarters
2 oranges, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
knob of fresh ginger

50ml yuzu (can substitute with lime or lemon juice)

Process the beets, carrots, oranges and ginger in a juicer, add yuzu and mix well. Serve immediately.

Print

12 comments:

  1. I love making juice at home but the only downside is cleaning the damn thing. These days it gets used once every six months so I think it's time to bring it out of storage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How super exciting! I hate buying juice from the store because it's packed with so much sugar. This sounds like an awesome way to drink juice without all the add-ins. Love the beet juice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe I have a KitchenAid which can juice too so when I'm back we should have a juice-off! :) beetroot and yuzu sounds weird but I'd give it a shot :) I'm more into smoothies...nommmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty color! I'm sure it's as delicious as it is pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks really awesome!!! love beets and combination with orange juice must be delicious!
    love to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never try to make juice with beetroot!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I love the sound of beetroot and yuzu juice. Such an intriguing combination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, i totally get you. Making youe own juice is so superior to buying it. I have a wonderful juicer and it does wonders with my fruits and veg. Such a good purchase

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the beautiful colour! haha i should stop buying boost juice and invest in a juicer too...so many kitchen gadgets to buy. but im sure a juicer is a healthier choice than an icecream machine (which i really want as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing. Can I ask where you get your yuzu juice from? I've been trying to source yuzu fruit for a while - apparently the only grower in Australia is near Murwillumbah, and I don't know where he sells the fruit if he does because I've never seen it here in Brisbane! I have to fork out $40 for a 300ml bottle of yuzu juice imported from Japan. Is there an alternative? My wallet wants to know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all so much for your comments!

    Jess, you can buy yuzu online at Chef's Armoury , for $16.50/150ml

    http://www.chefsarmoury.com/japanese-food/pantry-essentials/cat_120.html

    I will keep you posted if I find it somewhere cheaper than that ;-)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I have recently fallen in love w fresh beets ( I've only ever had the pickled variety). I bought a juicer in high hopes of juicing everything but alas it was a cheapo and left me w 10x's more pulp than juice. I blend all my fruits and veggies now for more of a smoothie, I will give this a try in my Ninja blender! *crossing fingers...

    ReplyDelete