September 14, 2010

Zucchini with Avocado Pesto


It may not come to you as a surprise to hear that I used to be a vegetarian. It wasn't as much as a conscious choice as it was just a natural progression of my lifestyle: I have always been very active and health-conscious, and essentially I just didn't feel well eating large amounts of meat. My vegetarian days lasted for a good few years, but when I moved to Sydney I felt it was easier for everyone that I included some meat in my diet. To this day I still eat vegetarian meals 90% of the time.

As much as my partner is unbelievably flexible when it comes to food (he eats pretty much anything I put in front of him), he does prefer his protein in the form of lean meat. Last time I made him a fully vegetarian dinner I mentioned it was because he had told me he was going to opt for one vegetarian day a week. He replied "Was I? I think it was your thought honey, not mine"... So admittedly there is still a bit of work to do in convincing him to give up meat ;-)

This pesto recipe is, in my mind, almost revolutionary. I love pesto, but often feel it can get a bit heavy with all the oil and the parmesan. Why I never thought to use avocado to achieve the creaminess, I don't know, but I'm glad I found this recipe, because I don't think I'll ever go back to the normal pesto again! This pesto is lovely with zucchini, but I see no reason why you couldn't have it with fish, chicken or pasta.


Zucchini with Avocado Pesto
(Recipe adapted from the 80/20 Diet by Teresa Cutter)

1/2 avocado, peeled and stoned
1 garlic clove, crushed
juice of one lime
juice of 1/2 lemon
small handful basil

small handful flat-leaf parsley

20g green, unsalted pumpkin seeds

40g natural almonds, chopped

1 tsp honey

pinch of sea salt


4 small zucchini

200g cherry tomatoes, halved

1/2 small handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped 1 tbs balsamic vinegar

To make the pesto, put the avocado, garlic, lime and lemon juice, herbs, pumpkin seeds, almonds and honey in a food processor. Process until smooth, add 30ml water, and season well with freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of salt.

Cut the zucchinis into thin strips (julienne) and place into a large bowl. Add the pesto and toss well. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes with the parsley and the balsamic, toss and spoon on top of the zucchini.

17 comments:

  1. I eat meat on occasion, but whenever I'm creating new recipes I always tend toward the vegetarian side. For some reason unbeknownst to me.

    I love your thought to use avocado to replace the oil in pesto! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. vegetarianising my meals is something that I am try my best to execute. I certainly feel a lot better when I am on a successful run of it. This dish looks so wholesome and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you were vegetarian! Tell me you've had Hurricane's rack of ribs since being in Sydney. If you haven't we can't be friends! ;)

    ps. sorry if you get this comment twice. I tried to comment and it crashed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious looking pasta. It looks so fresh and vibrant. Yum!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Revolutionary? I bet! This looks like the hybrid of pesto - I love the green colours thanks to the avocado and parsley and basil but what's interesting is honey! A must try recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful, vibrant dish! I'm still trying to convince my hubby to eat vegetarian one or two nights a week too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Trisha - I'm absolutely intrigued by the honey! Could you taste it, or did it act as more of a binder?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments!

    Catty: Eeeehh, I haven't... :-/

    Trisha & mademoiselle délicieuse: I think the honey is there just to balance the flavours rather than act as a binder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of avocado pesto and the pumpkin seeds is a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I know what I'm going to be having for dinner tonight. Thank you! Great trick with the avocado, it's genius really!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really interesting, I'm going to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks and sounds soooo good. I used to be a vegetarian as well, and have shared my own story many times on my blog. I, too, felt after a point that it was simply easier to cook meat to benefit my husband who was so patient with me when I wasn't eating it. I try to have a balanced diet for the most part of meals that have meat and meals that are meat-free.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maria, is it a Finnish thing? All of the Finns that I know are very healthy and active and of course Mr NQN's family are all vegetarian. OK that's not a huge sample pool but they are definitely very healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for your comments!

    Lorraine: I think us Finns have to stay active just to keep warm! ;-) Vegetarianism is not traditionally Finish, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. MMMMMM,..Maria!! What a delightful dish!! I so much love your original & tasty recipes!

    I am going to make this tonight Thanks!

    ReplyDelete