September 23, 2010

Toasted Almond Tofu Patties


Like most people who love cooking, I have an ever growing stash of recipes: some in the form of beautiful cookbooks, some in the form of retro recipe cards, some in magazines I've kept, some just written at a back of an envelope with nothing but a list of ingredients (which makes it even more exciting to cook because you can only guess what the outcome might be), but of course there are the digital recipes as well. I have a whole email inbox folder dedicated to recipes, I now (finally) have an iphone and a few recipe 'apps' in it, but I also seem to have recipes hidden on my memory stick. I had totally forgotten about this almond tofu burger recipe, and as I don't use my memory stick very often, I happened to find it only recently.

I really love tofu, and more often than not I seem to get some long looks in the office for munching on a big block of tofu. I think it's perfect office food: it doesn't smell, it doesn't make a crunchy noise when eaten, but it's filling and tasty on its own. It also makes great almond tofu patties, like these ones!


Toasted Almond Tofu Patties
(Recipe adapted from Epicurious)

350g hard (firm) tofu
1/2 cup grated carrot
2 shallots, finely sliced
a small knob of grated ginger
1/2 cup natural almonds, toasted
1 large free range egg white
3 tbs less salt soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sesame seeds (toasted)
black pepper
olive oil, for frying

If using a less firm tofu, you need to wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel, place on a cutting board and weigh down with a board topped with weights for one hour to draw out the water. Transfer the tofu and the almonds in to a bowl of a food processor and whiz a few times to blend.

Heat a medium frying pan, add a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the carrot, shallots and ginger until slightly softened. Mix the vegetables with the tofu, add the egg white, soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds and combine well. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Shape the mixture into four patties.

Heat some olive oil in a frying pan, add the patties and cook until golden brown and heated through, a few minutes on each side. Serve with a fresh salad.

13 comments:

  1. I really like tofu too! I don't understand it when people say that they don't although I'd bet this recipe would change their mind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMMMMM,...this salad looks mighty pretty & tasty too!

    I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try this Maria... I don't have too many tofu recipes and there seems to be so much flavour packed into this one dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally one of those people who actually doesn't mind raw tofu at all! And this reminds me that I have a block of tofu sitting in my fridge. Must make these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These patties are cooked to perfections! pretty! i love tofu too...must give this a go since i always make the same old tofu dishes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...tofu patties I've had but not with almond mixed through, I don't think. Imagine they'd be wonderfully nutty with a hint of sweetness though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting recipe! I've never had anything like it, but the ingredient list sounds fantastic. So light and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, this is definitely my kind of dish... I can't live without tofu! Bookmarked. Such beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These patties look good.

    I made the couscous and cannellini burgers from last month's Delicious Magazine and they were dreadful, the texture was so one dimentional and soft / mushy. I wondered how they got through quality control and into the magazine. I think the almonds would really help with the texture in these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, this looks amazing. I have a block of tofu I need to do something with and this would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! and healthy!! Have to try these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to trying this, specially because I make my own almond milk and am always looking for ways to use the left over almond pulp. I think I might try using it as the almond in this recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, we must be related! I have a whole STACK of untitled recipes written on everything from an envelope to the back of a beer carton. It does keep life interesting!

    These look beautiful. I am trying to fix more meatless meals and this is being added to my Pinterest board.

    Funny, if I call them vegetarian meals my husband and I are less likely to try new recipes. The whole vegetarian thing has a negative connotation for us I guess being raised on farms where it wasn't a meal without meat! We still like our meat. Just trying to not have it at every meal.

    ReplyDelete