September 27, 2010

Quinoa Pudding


I have been experimenting with quinoa lately, and I have found it surprisingly versatile! It makes wonderful salads, of course, but can also be used in a variety of other delicious ways.
This quinoa pudding reminds me of my favourite milk rice pudding I made some time ago, although the texture of quinoa is very different. This is quite a runny pudding, so if you prefer you could try using less milk (maybe just 3 cups instead of 4). I really recommend you wait until the next day to eat this, because the flavour and the texture really gets much better!

I love the cardamom in this pudding, and surprisingly we use this spice in Scandinavian cooking quite often. This pudding also hides my second love which is dried fruit (I also love nuts), so I was quite generous with the dried apricots. You could try using other dried fruit also, and by all means you can use red or white quinoa instead of the black variety that I'm using.


Quinoa Pudding
(Recipe adapted from Whole Living)

3/4 cup organic quinoa, rinsed
4 cups milk (use 3 if you prefer it thicker)
1/4 cup natural muscovado sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 large free-range eggs
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup plump dried apricots, sliced

In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of the milk and the quinoa to boil. Turn down the heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes. In a bowl, mix together the rest of the milk, sugar, honey, eggs and cardamom. Pour the egg mixture into the quinoa while whisking continuously and let simmer (keep whisking) for another few minutes. Pour the pudding into a large dish and let cool. Place a glad wrap directly on the surface of the pudding, and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.

13 comments:

  1. Hey Maria, I made quinoa pudding the other day, too! I should have rested them overnight, like you suggest, as they would have been brilliant for breakfast, like sweet porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would not have occurred to me to make a pudding from this grain - but I guess someone had to think of using rice in a pudding once too! This is intriguing and I'm qute keen to give it a go. I like the idea of having it as a sweet porridge as Bel suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I've never tried quinoa in a sweet dish.

    Quinoa is a superfood, so I guess that makes this dish a super dessert (?!) ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Maria, this pudding sounds delicious and super healthful to boot! Oh, and I'm a nut over dried fruit. If you ever want to find me, just fly to Fort Lauderdale, FL and go to the local health food store. I'll be in the isle with all the organic dry fruit bins;-)...(smile)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes yes pile in the dried fruit! I am so greedy with sprinkling dried fruit on my porridge in the morning. This is a great idea for a pudding base.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When i look at quinoa i still cant help but think of tiny little miniature condoms LOL. i need to start taking them seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rice pudding has to be one of my most favorite desserts of all time and if I made it with quinoa, I'm pretty sure that I could feel absolutely virtuous while eating it! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love quinoa, as salad and even as flour to make delicious savoury tart.. but a pudding! It is truly inspiring! Besides this, I do loce cardamom, it seems such a perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really fond of quinoa in sweet recipes so this is right up my alley! Especially with the cardamom, which is a flavor I love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria I love quinoa too! It's so good for you and I love that slight crunchiness to it :D Nice addition of cardamom. Whenever I taste cardamom in something sweet I always think of our time in Finland! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also love qiunoa in all of its varities &this quinoa pudding looks so tasty!! I will make this tomorrow!

    Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since travelling through South America last year I have become a little accustomed and find of quinoa. Might have to relive it through some of your quinoa recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would never have thought of using quinoa to make pudding. Looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete