August 19, 2010

Milk Rice Pudding


In Finland rice is traditionally used quite differently to the Asian countries where it is present at every meal. For Finns potato is the main side dish, but rice is also used in a variety of dishes including rice porridge, which is cooked with milk and no sugar and served as a light meal with berry soup. The sweet and creamy rice pudding reminds me of this dish so I decided to make something in between: a milk rice pudding that doesn't have the heavy cream and is not loaded with sugar, but can still be served as a dessert. This is fully gluten-free and can also be made lactose free.



Milk Rice Pudding
(Recipe adapted from taste.com.au)
Serves 2

600ml low fat milk
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
(zest of one orange, finely grated)
80g white short or medium grain rice
fresh or frozen berries to serve

Place milk, sugar and vanilla sugar (and orange zest) in a saucepan and bring to boil. Stir in the rice, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and the pudding has thickened. Remember to stir often and add a bit of water if the pudding is getting too thick. Serve warm or room temperature with fresh or frozen berries.

Serve with berries

17 comments:

  1. Mmm so simple but I am sure it was absolutely delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would never have thought to have a non-sweetened rice porridge with berries and served as a soup. i do love rice pudding and now you have me craving some before winter is over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I love rice pudding I never seem to eat it. Love the photo's Maria, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother makes a similar dish which is quite lovely. Your pictures are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh perfectly Finnish with the blueberries there Maria! I'm sure Mr NQN's mum would love this! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like rice pudding, so comforting !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rice pudding, and this healthier version sounds wonderful! Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness this looks good! I can never get rice pudding to photograph well - yet you've certainly made it look beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rice pudding always sounds great to me and now that you posted a healthy version, I'll be making this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh good God I already saw this on facebook and drooled and now you make me drool again! Looks so CUTE and delicious and blueberries are all kinds of awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a really lovely rice pudding! Very healthy too...in fact, I would probably also eat it for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does this yield a thick, creamy pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your comments everyone!

    Katherine: Absolutely it does!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never had this before... it looks to comforting! And look at those gorgeous berries!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one fine rice pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love rice pudding without eggs!

    ReplyDelete