August 14, 2010

Fennel & Orange Salad


This salad combines so many of my favourite flavours: the liquorice of the fennel, the sweetness of oranges, the crunchy walnuts, and the dark balsamic vinegar. I was able to get some organic oranges that were unbelievably sweet, and I used the beautiful Alto Bush Herb olives I bought from the Burnt Orange in Mosman. Fennels are in season now so I think I'll be making this salad and other fennel dishes many times in the near future!

Fennel & Orange Salad
(Recipe adapted from Marie Claire's 'Spicy' recipe book)

2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 small fennel bulbs, finely sliced
2 oranges, segmented
1 handful of flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
20 olives

Combine the vinegar and oil in a small bowl and stir well. Toss the fennel, orange, parsley, walnuts and olives together and drizzle with the dressing.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. cant stand fennel. Never.ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, fennel and citrus work so well together! But I can only handle it when it's thinly sliced, much like onion actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me feel excited. Like spring is in the air! Beautiful, bright and positive! I like the placemat too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your salad makes me think that spring is just around the corner. Looks delicious Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, sweet oranges! They'd go perfectly with the fennel. Love these brightly coloured salads you're making :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the combination of flavours, spring is on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orange and fennel is such a great combination! Thinking of spring and summer around the corner looking at this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is right up my alley - I love fennel and anything citrussy. With the salty olives it has everything! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete