August 29, 2010

Carrot Bread (Gluten-free)


The pumpkin chai bread I made the other day inspired me to try this carrot bread recipe which has a very similar feel to it, but with the difference of using almond meal instead of just flour. I'm loving these recipes with no butter (I omitted the cream cheese icing because I'm not a fan of it), and a healthy dose of spices to give some extra flavour.

With the trial diet continuing I made this gluten-free although I'm sure you can find similar recipes using normal plain flour instead. The texture was better in this one than in the pumpkin bread, but it wasn't as sweet. I cant' choose which one I like better though, they were both equally tasty!


Carrot Bread
(Recipe adapted from taste.com.au)

1/3 cup rice flour
1/3 cup gluten-free corn flour
2 tsps gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups (about 200g) almond meal
2 medium size carrots, finely grated
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 160C and grease a loaf pan. Sift flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and the spices together in a bowl. Add the almond meal, carrots, walnuts and egg yolks and mix well.
In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the carrot mixture and pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. You can make a cream cheese icing for this if you like or just serve it on its own or with some butter.

Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. love the photos - so preeetty. plus, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really similar to the pumkin chai bread too! haha...
    How long does the trial diet go for??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never tried carrot bread but this looks delicious. And you really do have the best collection of pretty crockery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, no butter. consider me interested!

    It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A delicious looking bread! Lovely and spicy!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. with a bit of creamcheese spread

    yummm... haha then again im an avid fan of carrot cake .. so i would treat this as carrot cake ahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This bread is beautiful! I love the addition of cardamom, that's something I will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all your comments!

    Von: Hopefully not much longer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the use of almond meal in cakes I like how you've spiced it up here. Sorry to say it but I'd love this with cream cheese icing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found all your wonderful gluten free creations - thanks for sharing as I've found that packet bread mixes are horrible - now if only I had enough time to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recipe Maria, thank you for sharing! I went to see a naturopath recently and she put me on a gluten-free diet as a trial, now I know what I'll be baking for my afternoon snacks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love those spicy loafs, but I've never had one with carrots, sounds interesting, something different from bananas or zucchini :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spicy loaf with carrots - sounds delish! I love your recipe.

    ReplyDelete