June 22, 2010

Golden Moon Chinese Restaurant, Sydney

Golden Moon is one of many Chinese restaurants in Sydney's Chinatown. Why I chose this place for a dinner with friends, I cannot recall, but it turned out to be a good choice despite the obvious dominance of the near by Golden Century.

Turns out Golden Moon is particularly famous for its wood fired oven roasted ducks, and the beautiful brick oven is indeed eye-catching, but we decide to omit the duck and order something else. I get excited finding so many dishes on the menu I've never tried before; such as frog legs, tripe and pig's blood, but since my friends prefer the more conservative dishes, we settle on a few bullet proof options.

Chicken San Choy Bow is full of flavour and always worth the messiness.

Steamed dim sims are the usual crowd pleaser.

Shanghai style steamed mini pork buns are soft and moist in the middle. Dipped in ginger flavoured vinegar they are very tasty.

House crispy skin chicken is served with prawn crackers. The skin of the chicken is undoubtedly scrumptious, but the chicken is particularly bony and quite challenging to eat.

The sizzling Mongolian beef and generous amount of onions (which I love). The sauce is delicious and the meat is very tender.

Honey King Prawns. This is something our friend swears upon and he is right: there is the sweet honey, the beautiful soft batter and the tender prawn and you can't help but have a second serving.

So if you are looking for something different then head to Golden Moon. I might have to go back on my own and try the frog legs...

Golden Moon
321-325 Sussex St,
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel. 02 9635 9777

10 comments:

  1. Wood-fired duck sounds alright - the other dishes you had look pretty good, too. How did you find the service? I've heard that it can sometimes be quite bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it... The service wasn't very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I know people scoff at honey king prawns but I love them too! And those XLB look very plump with soup! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem with Golden Century is that it is always full and takes forever to get a seating. Am glad you posted this - a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not bad for a place you weren't too sure about. Those Shanghai dumplings look gorgeous as well as the chicken. Yeah, go the frogs legs next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. try the frog legs next time - you might like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the steam coming off the steamer plate.
    I love the look of the dumplings.

    Oh, i'm sorry but I say stay away from the frog legs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been here before, but the food looks delicious! I've always wanted to try frog's legs! I might have to try this place out sometime......only we rarely go out to the city! THe prawns look really delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the mongolian beef looks so nice....*drools*
    you're quite adventurous with your food - tripe and pig's blood! lol!

    ReplyDelete