May 09, 2010

Mother's Day Tosca Cake

This is a classic Finnish cake and a perfect fit for Mother's Day. Incredibly buttery and sweet, but so irresistible. I actually don't know what the word "tosca" means or where it comes from, but I think it refers to the almond-butter topping. If you don't like almonds, you could substitute with rolled oats.


Finnish Tosca Cake


Base

2 eggs
75g caster sugar
150 ml melted unsalted butter
140 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
100 ml milk

Topping

75g unsalted butter
75g caster sugar
1,5 tbsp plain flour
75g flaked almonds
1 tbsp milk

Make the base: whip sugar and eggs until thick and pale. Stir in butter, then add half of the milk, half of the flour-baking powder mixture, stir, and add in the rest of the milk and flour. Stir well and pour into a 1,3 litre tin. Cook the base in 175C for 15 minutes and in the mean while make the topping: Place all ingredients in to a pan and let come to boil. Take the half baked cake out of the oven, spread the topping on the cake and bake until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the top is cooked golden.


Hyvää äitienpäivää rakas äiti!

9 comments:

  1. Ooh I don't think I've tried this cake. I wonder if Mr NQN would like this for his birthday! Thanks Maria! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of almonds but this cake looks pretty damn good. Love the love heart shape hehe :) Mmm I can taste the butter and sugar from here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh such buttery goodness. This i sone I'd be having with a big dollop of double cream

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This sounds incredible! I love the color of it, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorraine: Not a problem, and if Mr NQN likes buttery bliss then this is the cake for him! :D

    Tangerine Eats: Thanks! :D Yeah it's probably not a cake you'd have every day...

    John: We had it with and without cream and both worked just as well :D

    Whisk-kid: Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks absolutely delicious, I bet your mother was pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heavenly Housewife: Thank you! Sadly my mum only got to admire the photos through the pictures :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. That just looks like heaven - I almost wanted to lick my computer screen. Can't wait to try this for my next ladies' get-together :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Kelly!The topping is crispy and buttery but the base is soft and spongy, I'm sure your friends would like this :D

    ReplyDelete