May 20, 2010

Herbie's Spices, Rozelle

I have an incurable addiction to buying spices. I don't know why I find them so irresistible and fascinating, but I find myself stocking new spices in my ever so full spice stash almost weekly. You can then imagine what it felt like to visit the famous Herbie's in Rozelle. Yes, it was a feeling much like most girls would experience when stepping in to a shoe shop: I was in my sanctuary.

Real cinnamon, not cassia...

If you are unsure what to get there is the tasting shelf...

Umm can I have a moment on my own please? Just me and the spices.

And what did I find? Allspice, the much needed ingredient to make the Scandinavian pickled herring; Barberries for making... well I just needed to have them! And cute pink peppercorns which I don't actually like so much, but which I know will make a great addition to many dishes.

I'll definitely want to revisit this place very soon!

4 comments:

  1. I've only ever been to Herbies once, quite a while ago. It's such a lovely little store. If you like it there you need to get down to Newtown and visit the Fiji Market - some of the cheapest spices you'll come across!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am yet to visit this place! So many types of herbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness... so many herbs and spices to choose from!!! Where do you even begin???

    ReplyDelete
  4. soo many spices!

    and i especially loved the cinnamon stand

    ReplyDelete